Where's the weekend report

GB

hi ppl i had the worst catch rate lol 2 wrasse fo rmy efforts windy saturday was an understatment and almost capsized wedged on a rock going down the river i was also turn round so had to navigate the last of the rocks backwards lol but hey it was fun on sunday i quit around 2 pm to let my friend play on my yak in the surf everett recond the water was to dirty for the bass to play with i did get to see seals and dolphins real close that made my day i will go down there again and try and get a fish over 2 pounds in weight :D

will add picks at a later date :D

Edited by Hungry Fisherman

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who arrived early had a good Friday - it was good weather, just a gentle breeze and we all caught some fish - no tope but Bull Huss to 10 or 12lbs, loads of doggies of course, one mackerel for about half an hour of trolling my feathers about and jigging occassionally! A bream and 3 bass from the biggest bait bust I have ever witnessed! I had leant my only shallow swimming lure to Starvin - he went back on an inshore route, I took the offshore line and so trolled a magnum joey mackerel - it caught me a weaver on the way into the beach! Anyway, the fish were boiling over an area of about 5 acres, feeding on sprats right on the surface. The fish were so thick that I had sprats hard up against the blade while I was paddling - but the joey was swimming too deep, or was too big or somethining - because not a single take on it. I had a rummage through my box, turning everything upside down and found a smaller, shallower runner and switched - I managed three between 3lbs and 5lbs. All returned. I tried waving at the gys on the beach to come out and join in with spinning gear - they just ignored me! How they couldn't see the gannets diving and the gulls screaming God only knows - I had one gannet dive in at the end of the paddle - it went right under the kayak! I came in absolute full of it and I swore there and then I would never go afloat without a lure or fly rod again - if I had a spinning rod I could have had a fish a chuck. The 2 guys camped by the river were out in an inflatable and caught 30 - kept them and were back out the next day......they have a fridge running in the van. It tells a story.

The BBQ gathering was great funand thanks to all those who proferred provender of various types: zzippy and Specimen for lamb herb sausage and kebab, Martin Hurst for the glass of vinho, anyone else whose hospitality has departed my memory. We decided to get up early and try the next morning - with ideas of 4am starts the wind proceeded to gain in strength throughout the evening and night. The following morning my 03.30 alarm saw the tent straining at its guy ropes - all thoughts of crawlng out at that time of day in that wind disappeared. We started to gather around the various breakfast stoves and tried to make a plan.

Zzippy, Specimen, Mike, Martin Hurst all decided to drive around to a cliff launch in a sheltered bay - and launched over the boulders. I drove round and saw them get ready while the others raided the freezer in the tackle shop. I went out with them down the river, last away as i wanted a pic of them going off together. When I got to the bottom of the river they were all pulled inon the beach - there was a small surf running in and Phooey had already been out through it and tried anchoring - he said it was untenable. They all pulled in on the beach and had a conflab. I hadn't gone all that way to sit on a beach so I said i would paddle round to the others and fish with them for the morning - which is what I did. We caught some doggies and huss but nothing exciting - although the water is over 20 feet deep so might be worth an explore in a few weeks for the big fellas. While we were sat at anchor there were some VERY powerful gusts, certainly up to Force 8 or 9, but little wave because of the lee afforded by the hill behind us. It eased off when the tideturned about lunch time.

The little group decided to try different tactics and so we went off in search of bass as Mike and Shite Angler had caught a few close in....I said I would paddle an inshore line back to the river and fish on the way with my VHF on listening watch with Specimen and the others of that group. The paddle back wasn't too bad and I got round the corner to find Nifty in the pound seat with the bass, I had another shoal over a different reef and did nearly as well - I thinj he had 7 or 8. I had half a dozen with a really good one of around 7lb or 8lbs. I had it right up alongside and when I saw how big it was I held the rod while I got the camera out of the hatch - I wanted a picture of it in the water on the lure - after trying to turn it a couple of times with the rod held high and messing about it shook itself off - but i had hold of the lure at one point so I am counting it as landed! If I hadn't messed about trying to get a picture I would have.I think I might invest in a landing net!

Still no tope showing up for anyone - Phooey and a few of the others had launched agian inthe afternoon and were anchored up about 1 mile out. We went home tired but having had a great day on the water.

Sunday morning was flat calm and we did get on the water for about 6am to catch the last of the flood. Just as well. I had a good morning, but it was VERY difficult. i got one bass about 3lbs, 2 mackerel,1 big garfish of about 1 1/2lbs and a pollack - all on a surface lure, although using a dropper eel and the pollack took the eel. That was it. As soon as the tide turnde the water coloured up and it was FULL of floating weed stirred up from the blow over the previous 2 days. A pair of dolphns were milling about just off the mouth of the river and it was great to paddle with them - at one point only 20 yards away - I sqeaked the bottom of the kayak and they came over to say hello. Bloody great!

Not brilliant fishing, but interesting and varied and ver, very enjoyable. A great surf in too - I thought I had found a gap in the waves and then about half way in I heard this roar behing me and turned to see a wall of water rearing up and breaking. I leaned back and braced with both feet to hole the rudder straight and just held the paddle at the ready level across my lap. The wave picked me up and the bow went under water - then she just ran down the face of the wave and shot in - I wish I had turned the GPS on to see how fast i reached!! A wonderful weekend helped by the fact that it stayed dry for the entire time and we had the first days of real summer. A bonus.

Thanks you lot, you made it a great meet. Hungry - you still have my blue surface lure too (no you can't keep it because they are too bloody expensive, but you can borrow it until I see you again). If you want to buy one it is a Yozuri Magnet Slider and you can get them from Veals - it is the 90mm size and is better than the 115 because it casts better unless you have a powerful rod.

It is amazing that such a diverse bunch of people who have not met before can get on so well, brought together by one common denominator - the simple kayak. It is a privilige to be part of your community.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

It was a good trip for me & I had a great time - despite lack of tope there were many kayaks, fishermen and fishy chat which made the weekend :clap2:

I didn't take many pics although I managed to pocket a few.

As Simon mentioned, on the Saturday Zzippy, Shy Tangler, Hake and myself launched from a campsite on the shoreline a mile or two along from the tope mark some of us fished last year.

This had a boulder beach and hauling the kayaks whilst avoiding going @rse over tiT on the slippery rocks was challenging - (especially on the return when the tide was way out :lol: ).

the campsite - only £1 to park a car here all day & £5 per person per night to camp - shame about the haul down to the waterline!

campsite.jpg

Hake getting ready. - I think this was to be his second paddle and the strong winds made it hard work at times. I hope he wasn't put off - kayak fishing can be pleasant :)

hake.jpg

Shy Tangler preparing for launch

shytangler.jpg

Simon paddled his kayak from the launch point further down the coast and fished alongside us for a few hours.

diana.jpg

Simon bringing in another doggie

everett-dogfish.jpg

On the Sunday the weather was more settled although there was a reasonable swell. Fishwise the trip was a success - I beat my Bull Huss pb with a fish guestimated about 8-9lbs. It put up a good scrap on the Solid C. At first I thought I had hooked a small pack tope. This photo is the best I could do one handed with the camera - looks more like an alligator than a huss :schmoll:B):D

bullhuss.jpg

Surf was up on the way back in. Richi getting behind the wave & heading back in.

richi1.jpg

The face says it all

richi2.jpg

Zzippy wading back up the river - we saw mullet and tiny flounder the size of 10 pence coins beneath the surface.

wading.jpg

I couldn't finish my pics without a photo of sheep. We were in Wales after all :lol:

Whilst wading these two were waiting for us to pass. Soon after they were down by the river having a drink

sheep.jpg

Thanks for the free beers and food from people - much appreciated and big thanks to sleep deprived Zzippy who did all the driving :thumbs:

Spanner is up there till Wednesday. I hope the tope come back in time.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice report guys,

glad the trip was still worth it despite no tope.Excellent bass Simon, and Speciman even 'though we don't have a tope hotspot here you've got me thinking about a big huss :)

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Jon,

it is a tope hotspot - it is just that we happened to go between the big ones moving out and the pack of youngsters moving in - give it a couple of weeks and there will be plenty.

There are also other launching spots and different marks to go for them - on the North side of the Llyn Peninsular there are a few marks we can use especially if the wind is from the south. BUT we need to decide before going as it is about a 60 mile drive from this campsite - probably an easier drive for those travelling from south and east - and especially north as it is Mway or DCway all the way except for the last 15 miles, and that is good road. Then just turn off down to the water.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Jon,

it is a tope hotspot - it is just that we happened to go between the big ones moving out and the pack of youngsters moving in - give it a couple of weeks and there will be plenty.

There are also other launching spots and different marks to go for them - on the North side of the Llyn Peninsular there are a few marks we can use especially if the wind is from the south. BUT we need to decide before going as it is about a 60 mile drive from this campsite - probably an easier drive for those travelling from south and east - and especially north as it is Mway or DCway all the way except for the last 15 miles, and that is good road. Then just turn off down to the water.

I know it's a hot spot-do you think I haven't been reading all the reports and sitting on the edge of my seat like everyone else!!! What I meant was we don't have a tope hotspot HERE[u] i.e down in glorious Devon.I would have been up with you but am going to The Mull of Galloway first week in July and couldn't manage both.(still could do with more kayaks joining us :rolleyes: )

Looking forward to the next report, :)

Jon.

PS I like the low profile shot of the scupper pro.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Well done guys! :D

As you say it's not over yet as a few boys are there till wednesday, but thanks for the reports above, gives the rest of us a real flavour of what it was all about. Congratulations to all who beat PBs and caught when the conditions were not so favourable :clap:

Mr Everett...I'm green with envy over your bait blitz and gannet encounter, fantastic stuff...and what a cracking bass!!!

Speciman, that campsite looks great to me and very handy not having to drive to the launch!

Anyway thanks again for sharing your encounters boys, I look forward to reading anything further from the other members of the trip when they return!

Tightlines, Rich

Well I have now recovered a bit after 3 sleepless nights.

Even though we didnt catch any Tope,I managed my best ever Bull Huss of about 4lb,also had loads of Dog fish which kept our rods nodding away :)

But the best part of the trip was meeting everyone and just chilling out.Plus getting to know the area.It has really opened my eyes to the size of the surf you boys tackle each time you go out.We only get surf like that in Bournemouth when there is a force 6 or 7 wind blowing :blink:

A nice relaxing BBQ after a hard day fishing

Waiting with the Camera for Niffty to Dump in the Surf :) .But he let us down and got in safely

14a9dns.jpg

14a9yee.jpg

A view of what we launch over at high tide.Now you can see why the surf builds up near the entrance of the river.

14a9cvc.jpg

A view up river at low tide

14a9cly.jpg

A nice scenic view of the Hills over Wales

14a9c8w.jpg

And finally.My pb Bull Huss

14a966p.jpg

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Some great reports there. It looks like I might just be forced into tagging along the next time you have a meet there.

Neil.

p.s. I will be at Luce Bay for a couple of days that week Musket, going over with another 4 yaks.

Edited by Neil