Centrepin casting

tiddlertamer

Alan, what about the relative weights of these reels? I had the impression the Greys was considerable lighter than the Okuma and for trotting all day this could be significant hence my enthusiasm for it. Mine still has not arrived so not too late for me to cancel if I have got this wrong.

Willie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find that too little weight is not a good plan the Bewick is a plain bearing pin which means that it has to be fished with the handles pointing skywards whereas the Okuma can be used in an under the rod position which for many people is more comfortable

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I have to agree with Alan, the Okuma Aventa Pro, I have the Sheffield & the Kennet which I have not used yet and I also have a J.W. Young but I nearly always use the Aventa Pro, so that has to tell you something.

As for casting I use a side cast but I am mastering the wallis cast (slowly) I have good days and bad days but stick with and I'm sure you'll master it.

Alan:

One quick question to throw out at you where do you have your line coming off the the reel the top or the bottom. I have heard different stories about this and would like some clarification.

Cheers

Bankside

I have to agree with Alan, the Okuma Aventa Pro, I have the Sheffield & the Kennet which I have not used yet and I also have a J.W. Young but I nearly always use the Aventa Pro, so that has to tell you something.

As for casting I use a side cast but I am mastering the wallis cast (slowly) I have good days and bad days but stick with and I'm sure you'll master it.

Alan:

One quick question to throw out at you where do you have your line coming off the the reel the top or the bottom. I have heard different stories about this and would like some clarification.

Cheers

Bankside

I met up with Alan several weeks back for some casting tuition and I took along a 4 inch Adcock Stanton which seemed to work well enough. You can pick a Stanton up for a reasnable price on ebay. I think the 4 or 41/2 inch would be more suited to most.

Bankside I always have the line coming off the bottom of the spool

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan