River Carp are more of an achievement?

Are there many anglers out there that still get excited about the first day of the River Season, or has commercialized fishing taking the sense of achievement out of catching big River Carp?

Its all well and good being able to fish all year round, for the same 'mug' fish that have been caught 1000's of times before, but gone are the days when June 16th was something to look forward too.

Carp fishing is all too easy nowadays...... Turn up, a ton of bait, sit on your rods for 5 days and wait for your self hooking rigs to let your bite alarms know that you can get out of your sleeping bag and reel in a 'pastie' or a more ususally a bream using 3lb test curve rods and 15lb line!

Don't even get me started on those that pole fish for carp..............

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there many anglers out there that still get excited about the first day of the River Season, or has commercialized fishing taking the sense of achievement out of catching big River Carp?

Its all well and good being able to fish all year round, for the same 'mug' fish that have been caught 1000's of times before, but gone are the days when June 16th was something to look forward too.

Carp fishing is all too easy nowadays...... Turn up, a ton of bait, sit on your rods for 5 days and wait for your self hooking rigs to let your bite alarms know that you can get out of your sleeping bag and reel in a 'pastie' or a more ususally a bream using 3lb test curve rods and 15lb line!

Don't even get me started on those that pole fish for carp..............

I think that any fish out of a river is better than some fat pig carp from a mud hole. Just my opinion.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All depends which river? and where.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I think you'll find that the assasination of carp angling has been done to death on this forum. As I have posted before, fishing is surely about enjoying yourself - whichever branch of the sport you choose to participate in. It serves no purpose to belittle other peoples chosen path within this great sport of ours - other than to wind the target group up and maybe solicit some angry responses to your post. If carp fishing is not for you - that's absolutely fine. I don't expect you to justify your reasons for not liking it - as I don't expect to have to justify mine for loving every minute that I spend doing it.

All the very best,

Pete (Cidermonkey)

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

I think you'll find that the assasination of carp angling has been done to death on this forum. As I have posted before, fishing is surely about enjoying yourself - whichever branch of the sport you choose to participate in. It serves no purpose to belittle other peoples chosen path within this great sport of ours - other than to wind the target group up and maybe solicit some angry responses to your post. If carp fishing is not for you - that's absolutely fine. I don't expect you to justify your reasons for not liking it - as I don't expect to have to justify mine for loving every minute that I spend doing it.

All the very best,

Pete (Cidermonkey)

It's not fishing for carp that I have a problem with. If I go out and happen to catch a nice carp then I'll be a happy chappy. Sitting round some hoile that someone has dug in the ground and filled up with fat pet goldfish is not for me. I just don't see the challenge in it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Good first post BreamAgain, not in the least bit contentious eh?

Nothing like a healthy bout of session carper-bashing to generate a bit of heat - and on the session carp forum too. :)

For the record, I still look forward to June 16th. I think it's still a special date in the fishing calendar, but I'm also very happy to fish commercials whenever I can.

The beauty of fishing is being able to do whatever floats your boat isn't it?

Our chief weapon is surprise

Nothing like a healthy bout of session carper-bashing to generate a bit of heat - and on the session carp forum too. :)

This is true, and long may it continue. I guess standing on a river bank with an avon rod fishing for mullet wouldn't float many boats in here. You can go for days and catch zilch. Its even worse when you can see the blighters playing with your float, shot, or hook but refuse to take.

personally i regard any carp out of the river near me (river soar) a wonderful achievment, more so than any lake because there isnt many carp in the river. but i although like to fish for carp in lakes but not very often

For the record, I still look forward to June 16th. I think it's still a special date in the fishing calendar, but I'm also very happy to fish commercials whenever I can.

I like carp fishing as much as the next bloke, and fish carp lakes in the closed season, the reason I posted this on the carp forum was too see if I could generate a discussion about River Carp meaning more than hand reared pigs!

Why is it a given assumption that any lake is a hole filled with pet fish?

Some lakes are more wilderness-like than many rivers.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE