Yum

Kappa

one of the best eating fish around

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I see Steve, it was just the way I read it.

I was a bit disappointed, I thought Rich had found a new tasty carp recipe.

John

Try this one...

Karp smazony • Fried carp

in Polish: karp smażony

Fried carp is one of national Polish foods, eaten only once a year - during the Christmas Eve supper. Depending on local and family traditions, carp is fried in a coating or without. More superstitious Poles believe that carp brings luck. For example, you can put a scale of the carp into your wallet. As a consequence, in the next year, you will have the best of luck in business.

Generally speaking, in Western countries carp is believed to be an inedible fish. Well, there is some truth in it. Nevertheless, in Poland carp is bred in special conditions, thanks to which the taste of the fish should not be sludgy and its meat should not stink. So, believe me that this festive fish is really nice when purchased from a reliable source. Moreover, before carp is being faced with a dramatic end of its existence, the fish is kept in clean water for few days. (I used to put mine in the bath in Berlin) Some Polish people regard the fried carp as a real delicacy. It looks like the tradition of carp eating does not weaken with time!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Emma,

I concur - carp can taste exactly like the water it comes from. And, not surprisingly, I too use the bath tub on occasion although we have a couple stock watering tanks that can serve dual purposes.

You left out one important point. The red meat on carp is far to "fishy" for me. I dispose of it rather than risk tainting my peanut oil.

Phone