Cold water paddling... a reality check.

JRT

I found this on another forum. Well worth 5mins of your time..

http://www.yachting-world.com/auto/newsdes...2245ywnews.html

JRT

Great, lack of awrness and complicity with the suroundings is very dangerous.

All users should be fully aware of what can happen and their surroundings. and if their was a law and insurance requirement how many using this forum would wear a PFD?

How many people walk round saying ha ha it will never happen to me!!!!!!!!!

Personaly i wont let my kids out without one now matter how un cool it looks..

Great, lack of awrness and complicity with the suroundings is very dangerous.

All users should be fully aware of what can happen and their surroundings. and if their was a law and insurance requirement how many using this forum would wear a PFD?

How many people walk round saying ha ha it will never happen to me!!!!!!!!!

Personaly i wont let my kids out without one now matter how un cool it looks..

I spend half my life in a pfd. I wear a one for 14 hrs a day, I work on a jack up drill rig and it's compulsary. When fishing afloat I wear 1 and when I go shore fishing I wear a wading/fly vest pfd. But then I don't swim to good so it would be daft not to.

Nice link by the way JRT, well worth the read.

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I spend time (but far too little) talking to schools about water safety. In my opinion the ability to swim although invaluable can lead to complacency without education. The tragedy in the estuary at our recent Tope trip could ( without prejudging) probably have been prevented given an awareness through education of the risks. Unfortunately water safety is seen by our councils as low priority , hence the pressures to cut schoool swimming / safety programmes :angry:

Ok Prowler 13

I spend time (but far too little) talking to schools about water safety. In my opinion the ability to swim although invaluable can lead to complacency without education. The tragedy in the estuary at our recent Tope trip could ( without prejudging) probably have been prevented given an awareness through education of the risks. Unfortunately water safety is seen by our councils as low priority , hence the pressures to cut schoool swimming / safety programmes :angry:

I was taught to swim at an early age and have helped children learn how to swim, giving confidence in the water is essential, but at the same time teaching the awareness and dangers that are to easilly missed or overlooked due to eagerness. I agree with you Martin when will people in places of trust and power realise that education in all areas and the ability to give insight is more important than a good game of crochet.....

I believe that the Government already has a scheme in place, all children must be able to swim 25 yards by the age of 10, if they have failed to do so they will be given swimming lessons every day for a two week block, and so it will continue until they are able to swim.

It's not perfect but if it helps to save lives then I'm all for it. My kids started swimming lessons at 4 years old and in our house it is a requirement, no swimming lessons, no football lessons, tough but fair.

As for PFD's they are no good in the tankwell, we should always wear one, whatever the conditions.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

only in England as far as i'm aware Starvin , although curiously I've just had a request from the Welsh assembly for numbers of yr 6 kids using my pool who cant swim a length!

Ok Prowler 13

only in England as far as i'm aware Starvin , although curiously I've just had a request from the Welsh assembly for numbers of yr 6 kids using my pool who cant swim a length!

that's right Martin I saw a news article on this issue earlier in the week and it is only England at present. The sooner the Welsh assembly jump on the idea the better.

My Wife is a full time swimming instructor and is always busy teaching. Many of the children she teaches are having private lessons as they were unable to get on to a council run scheme through over subscription. Equally some parents actually send their kids to both the council classes and my wife's classes. My point being there is a large demand for swimming tuition here in Wales and so any legislation I'm sure would be very much welcomed by a host of parents.

As for PFDs and being cool etc...it's just like helmets for cyclists...if they are introduced in the 'right way' to children then they are cool and they do 'want' to wear them. My kids love wearing their PFDs when kayaking and helmets when cycling....cool colours, nice designs, and giving the child a bit of choice all helps to get them into the 'habit'...then it stays with them. I would no more ride my bike without a helmet than drive to town without my seat belt on...'I actually feel uneasy or semi naked, without it!' weird but true! :blink::D

Anyhow the same applies for me with the PFD, I just don't feel right without it...you don't know when you might need it...things can happen fast at sea and what seems like an simple accident on land can be life threatening out there...plus how many maniac jet skiers have you had close calls with?....if you haven't had one yet....it's coming!

Incidentally...ask yourself this....with a jet ski heading toward you at 60mph+, how long do you wait, how many times do you tell yourself 'he has seen me and he is taking the p***' before you start waving your paddle and risk looking 'uncool'...or potentially save a collision????

It's a tricky, one but try and be seen and be safe guys...afterall then you can concentrate on the fishing!

Tightlines, Rich