Sea Lamprey

big tinca

Do you have a pic ? Is the river close to the sea?

Had one last year on the Severn, lip hooked, horrible looking things :headhurt:

atb

malc

Wouldn't like to guess how far Boroughbridge is from the sea, but its a hell of a lot further than a hop, skip and jump. They have to run up the Ouse before its called the Ure.

Sat for a couple of hours watching brook lamprey spawning in Cod Beck a few weeks ago; that's a tributary of the Swale, same river system.Then some plonker thought it great fun to send his dog in after them.

We used to get the big sea lampreys up the Wear, (and flaties) but since a new weir was built at Chester le Street I have not seen any. They used to be huge, frightened the life out of you if you stood on one when night fishing for sea trout.

(if one is posh substitute 'one' for 'you') :)

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Theres a market town in N Yorkshire that has Cod Beck flowing through the middle of the town and yes you can sit on the banks and watch the lamprey and I would bet we're talking about the same place, but I won't mention it on here in case they disappear one night.

I would guess after taking into account bends and eddies and the curature of the river system that those same lamprey will be 150 miles from the sea.

The same problem exists on the Tees with lamprey having next to no chance of negotiating the fish pass on the barrage

Theres a market town in N Yorkshire that has Cod Beck flowing through the middle of the town and yes you can sit on the banks and watch the lamprey and I would bet we're talking about the same place, but I won't mention it on here in case they disappear one night.

I would guess after taking into account bends and eddies and the curature of the river system that those same lamprey will be 150 miles from the sea.

The same problem exists on the Tees with lamprey having next to no chance of negotiating the fish pass on the barrage

Seen plenty of Brook Lampreys in Cod beck around the 'market town' area Brian, but not sea Lampreys.

That seems a long long way upriver for the big guys.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

The bloke who owns the tackle shop seen the fish i my keepket and identified it for me because i dint have a clue what it was

He said that the Lampreys cum all way from the sea as adults to spawn in the area there was born and then die

Please stick up a picture as I would love to see a 3lb Lamprey.Thats one hell of a lot of bait! Bet it was a great looking creature?

No picture taken as we was only pleasure fishing for Barbel and Chub!

Fluke capture it was at least 2 - 3 feet long and as thick as your arm tho

Crazy when you think you've been looky and got a Barbel on the stickfloat then you see the browny colour and sucker for a mouth when uve never seen owt like it before in 9 years of fishing

Edited by big tinca

Pygocentrus Piraya