Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

Many, many moons ago long before the term uptide fishing came into use and when we fished twelve to a boat more suitable for six and before braid was invented, I an others would take up the bow positions, fishing with a light rod, 10lb mono, one to two ounce round flat weights on a sliding rig, and believe it or not cast uptide.

The main reson for doing this was to avoid all the caos in the aft well, but it proved productive and it wasn't long before you had to fight for a space.

Maybe the fore runner of what is now known as uptiding!! :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aaahhhhh, we can all relax, the master has spoken, and to anyone who may doing something in a way that steve doesn't approve of, my message to you, is DON'T, cos he won@t be happy.......

[ 05. July 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: jeepster ]

Guest stevie cop

Nick

From what Dave has written, I reckon he has been doing it properly. What makes you think he hasn't? I would imagine the two ounce gemini with 15lb braid would behave in much the same way as a 5 oz lead and 15 lb mono. I would also imagine that Dave fished the same way as traditional uptiding by letting out a bow of braid to pull the weight into the bottom. Perhaps he might tell us? If he did, then the bites would be registered in the same way, but Maybe more positive. The light spinning rod, combined with the bow of braid would ensure that boat movement wouldn't pull the lead out. It's easy to see in hindsight, but I wouldn't have thought of it!

Jeepster

What are you on about? I don't give a 5hit what anyone does. As I said before, it's not about proving who's right or wrong. It's about exchange of information to try to help others. I have been trying to help others. What have you been doing? As it happened, there was a lot of bull posted on here about what people consider to be uptiding. Most of the info would mislead or confuse someone who didn't know better. Dave Godwin has posted good information that makes sense and obviously works. I'm happy to accept that. It won't mislead or confuse. I'd have been just as happy to accept it if you had posted it on here. But you posting something like that is very unlikely because your knowledge of sea angling is so limited that you are restricted to sniping from the sidelines like a little girl. Where were you when the discussion was going on? Since joining this forum, I haven't seen one single post of yours that has been of any use to anyone.

Steve, i have used light gear like Dave, however you need lots of room or everyone using the same gear for it to work. Spinning rods are fine, great fun butlanding a decent fish in a strong tide = all other lines up and out the way or a big string ball as the hound ect tears around all the other anglers gear, not so much fun.

So braid for fishing very light with one or two anglers or everyone willing to up lines when you hook a good fish is fine however not always easy on a full charter.

So for standard uptiding IMHO, monos the way.

All the best Ryan.

Steve,

I think this was Jeepsters' point

l always accept good, sound advice, but I won't accept bull5h1t!

So if you don't agree with a post it is politely put RUBBISH.

There are many ways of skinning a cat and they can all work in the conditions which prevail.

As I said uptiding is nothing new, only the terminology is new. Some of us old farts have practiced it for years for various reasons in numerous ways and believe me they work.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

sorry steve you're right, i'm just wasting everybodies time on here, let's face it, since i called you a p***** you haven't really taken a shine to me have you

what ken says is exactly what i meant, just because you don't agree with someone, you seem to think they are talking bull5h1t, whatever that is.

why haven't i posted on this subject? i know sod all about uptiding, simple as that. i was reading the thread to learn, and learn i have. i've learnt that my initial thoughts about you were right for example and i've learnt that uptiding, as with most methods of fishing is many things to many people.

[ 05. July 2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Ken Davison - this is in no way aimed at you or your post. Just a matter of when I looked at the thread this morning.

The length is now enough that the thread is a bit of a strain on the forum.

If someone wants to open a thread on uptiding (and there does seem to be interest in the topic) then please do so. Meanwhile, this braid thread that has wandered a bit far afield is hereby closed.

edit note: oops, jeepster put in a response while I was writing mine.

[ 05. July 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President