Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

picture this, a small boy of 7 or 8 is fishing at low water from a rock mark. he is using 30lb braid. he gets it all tangled around himself and the rock, tide tide is flooding. his parents wouldnt let him have a knife in his tackle box and his lost his little scisors.

have you ever tried biteing 30lb braid or trieing to break it.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and your point is sam? braid should only be used by adults? people wanting to use braid should have to take a test before they can use it?

i've got another scenario for you.....

a small boy is fishing at low water from a rock mark, a lump of frozen poo from a passing airliner lands on him and kills him. BAN PLANES, thats what i say

my point is that braid is bloody horible stuff, it has no stretch, takes forever to break down when discarded in the enviroment. if you have one week spot in it and a fish breaks you up or you crack off casting, a fish could be tethered for a lond time.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest stevie cop

The disadvantages as I see them are, no stretch (which could lead to lost fish unless a mono leader is used), difficult to tie a good knot, beds into itself on the spool, ruins rod rings, (unless you use the most expensive ones), will cut through other anglers line......and skin!, no good for uptide fishing.

The only advantage that I can see with it is that you can use lighter leads, and therefore tackle. But For me, the disadvantages outweigh this.

Well I'm right down the middle on this I only use braid (power pro)on one reel and thats my light bank/bass fishing setup its brilliant for feeling whats going on on the sea bed, especially when just going over the top of a bank you can feel that exact moment when your lead becomes airborne or should I say waterborne and thats when you need to let out just that little bit more line to drop your gear down to where the fish are usually waiting.

For everything else I don't bother, but I can see situations like Davy's where it would be almost impossible to fish some of the marks he does unless you were Geoff Capes or some sort of masochist.

You all have to be disciplined and work as a team on a boat when fishing with it as a tangle with two or three lines can be almost impossible to sort.

[ 30. June 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: chappers ]

Guest jay_con

If your float fishing the no stretch thing is a big advantage, Plus it floats stoping the line from dragging in the tide. You connect with far more fish with braid whilst using a float.