A New 'Pin......

Rusty

Without wishing to hijack tiddler’s thread I too will be adding to my CP collection very soon but I have an unusual problem.

The new reel will be funded by my generous employer’s long service award paid in capital bonds so that recipients avoid taxation.

I’ve found few tackle shops that take these bonds as payment and fewer still that keep a range of CP reels. One shop however has the JW Young Bob James model which looks very nice and retails at £250, they’ll do me a deal apparently

The question is do those in the know (Alan?) regard the Young range as overpriced classically styled reels or would my bonds be well spent? I don’t want to buy this reel just because it’s the only shop which accepts the payment mechanism.

I currently use an Okuma Sheffield

oops sorry for dodgy title spelling.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Without wishing to hijack tiddler’s thread I too will be adding to my CP collection very soon but I have an unusual problem.

The new reel will be funded by my generous employer’s long service award paid in capital bonds so that recipients avoid taxation.

I’ve found few tackle shops that take these bonds as payment and fewer still that keep a range of CP reels. One shop however has the JW Young Bob James model which looks very nice and retails at £250, they’ll do me a deal apparently

The question is do those in the know (Alan?) regard the Young range as overpriced classically styled reels or would my bonds be well spent? I don’t want to buy this reel just because it’s the only shop which accepts the payment mechanism.

I currently use an Okuma Sheffield

oops sorry for dodgy title spelling.

I've got he Bob James and it's a corker, one of my favourites.

I've got he Bob James......

Me too now, my CP collection has started :D . Be interesting to compare it with my Sheffield.........I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Me too now, my CP collection has started :D . Be interesting to compare it with my Sheffield.........I'll be doing that tomorrow.

I think you'll like it,good luck with it :thumbs:

Let us know how you go on when you try it out.

Edited by tigger

Noting that you have a Sheffield you already have a very fine reel for regular use so this purchase can be looked on as more of a pleasure to look at item!

The Youngs BJ reel is a fine item and will tend to hold its value well due to the classical styling.

You may also wish to consider one of the Lythe reels although they do cost a great deal more and there is a long wait for them

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Noting that you have a Sheffield you already have a very fine reel for regular use so this purchase can be looked on as more of a pleasure to look at item!

The Youngs BJ reel is a fine item and will tend to hold its value well due to the classical styling.

You may also wish to consider one of the Lythe reels although they do cost a great deal more and there is a long wait for them

Perhaps when I reach forty years service I'll go for a Lythe. Spent a session using both reels today, both performed very well but I couldn't stop looking at the JW Young as line was being taken off the spool....I didn't catch anything. It is a fantastic reel and I'm very pleased with my purchase but I do marvel at how Okuma have managed to produce something representing such great value. In terms of simple trotting performance there wasn't much in it. A few technical differences, aesthetics and ownership 'feel good factor' separate the two.