Fishing in Basingstoke

lastnameleft

You're only about ten miles from Farnham so I must give Farnham Angling a mention. I'm not a member but there are others on AN who are. I have fished one of their waters and they struck me as being very well organised. I particularly like their protective attitude to pike and their insistence that those who fish for them can demonstrate their ability to safely handle them. On that count I have to give them 11 out of ten. No doubt Lyn or Chesters will be along soon to tell you more :)

Check out their website here

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

You're only about ten miles from Farnham so I must give Farnham Angling a mention. I'm not a member but there are others on AN who are. I have fished one of their waters and they struck me as being very well organised. I particularly like their protective attitude to pike and their insistence that those who fish for them can demonstrate their ability to safely handle them. On that count I have to give them 11 out of ten. No doubt Lyn or Chesters will be along soon to tell you more :)

Check out their website here

I was a FAS member until this season (I moved away so didn't rejoin). I agree with Argyll about their general attitude to pike (although they do stock River Valley with waaaay too many pike to make it a 'pike water', even though the cormorants have eaten all the bait fish...). For the money you can't go wrong. If you want details of specific waters PM me and I'll help out as best I can :)

PS the photo in my avatar is by the river Wey on the FAS ticket. There are some beautiful places, some of which rarely see an angler... and at the same time some of the lakes will be overflowing with people.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

just looked at there records and there waters hold some monsters. if only i lived closer, looks like they cater for all anglers

I can't give any info on the Basingstoke area but we are members of Farnham. You do have to attend a pike teach-in before you are allowed to fish for them. The 1st one is not until 10th Sept, so if you want to get some summer piking in that's not a lot of good. For your money there is a wide choice of lakes & rivers though.

CEMEX/RMC have a complex of lakes at Yateley which would not be too far for you. Wellington Country Park is a short journey up the A33 near Reading. Not sure on the pike fishing there but it is on a day ticket.

Farnham has no day ticket venues and you are not allowed trebles or double hooks on Badshot Lea big pond because of the cat fish.

It does have Frensham ponds as seen on Passion for Angling which is a good pike water along with most of their waters.

Welcome to the area.

lyn

PS If you have any kids they hold an excellent barbel teach in September :thumbs::fish:;)

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hiya,

I live in Basingstoke too. Farnham Angling Society's site can be found at http://www.farnhamanglingsociety.com

FAS is IMO a great club to join, for pike, have a look at:

River Valley (Yateley): Lots of Pike to 27lbs, offering good sport all year round.

Mill Lane (Yateley): Used to be the specimen Pike water holding the club record, not fished for pike a lot, but there are undoubtedly 20lb plus fish in there - perhaps a monster or two?

Frensham Great Pond: (Frensham, Nr Farnham): Some great pike fishing to be had, with Pike well into the 20lbs bracket.

Frensham Small Pond (Frensham, Nr Farnham): Holds a reasonable head of pike, not sure about weights.

All of the above offer good summer spinning for Pike.

The society has some great float fishing on offer for Tench, Bream, Crucians and carp on the majority of their waters, although some are harder than others.

As Lyn says, FAS require all members to complete a Pike Teach-in to educate and check that members know how to safely fish for Pike, have the correct tackle and are well versed in fish-care to ensure the fish goes back safely to fight another day. Unfortunately, the next teach-in is in September, but it may be worthwhile joining for the float and general fishing in the meantime.

Membership fees and details of how to join can be found at http://www.farnhamanglingsociety.com/join

As far as alternatives, I'm not up on the day-ticket scene, but CEMEX/RMC have waters in Yateley/Sandhurst and there are a few other smaller clubs dotted around, although sadly good pike fishing seems to be on the decline in many areas.

I hope this helps, Tight Lines!

Rob

Edited by Rob Hale

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - I have looked at FAS website and agree they look like an excellent club! Will look into joining and look forward to picking up some tips for Pike handling in September - I can always target Carp over the summer.

Thanks again.

Well done to Farnham for the respect shown to Pike - an example for others.

One question though - my club -Eastleigh and district have exchange books with Farnham and district, as quoted in my book, is this the same club?

If so, how does it work if I were to do an exchange and wish to fish for pike?

Well done to Farnham for the respect shown to Pike - an example for others.

One question though - my club -Eastleigh and district have exchange books with Farnham and district, as quoted in my book, is this the same club?

If so, how does it work if I were to do an exchange and wish to fish for pike?

Hi Darrell

We just go to the club membership secretary who just happens to own the tackle shop. Get hold of you club & ask. You will have to attend a teach-in to fish for pike. I can always get you on that and then we can have a day together. I am going to get an Eastleigh one in the winter for the grayling.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Darrell

We just go to the club membership secretary who just happens to own the tackle shop. Get hold of you club & ask. You will have to attend a teach-in to fish for pike. I can always get you on that and then we can have a day together. I am going to get an Eastleigh one in the winter for the grayling.

lyn

Hi Lyn, Thanks - that would be great. Eastleigh have lost the best grayling beat, but there are a few others that are worth a go. If you could let me know when the teach-ins are I'll make sure I attend. looks like a good club for pike fishing. Also the stretches of the Loddon look pretty impresive.

ATB

Darrell