What is the best bait for Carp?

James Pos

Had a good bit of luck on Halibut as well but they seem to be fizzing out.

It seems though Halibut Pellets "blow" quite quickly for carp (Ive not used them for Barbell or Chub is it the same?) I reckon its possibly their size compared to the much smaller trout pellets and the like.Quite often the "instant" carp baits seem to die quicker than ones that need some time for the fish to get on to them.Got to be about ease of recognition.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a question ....

How deep is the water you are fishing ? How big is the lake ? are there any features ?

If the water is deep, say over 8ft then spoding a mix out will result in the spod mix spreading over a larger area as it drops from the surface to the bottom, imagine looking at an umbrella, this is prob the best way to explain the spread zone, so in this instance you would be best to place your mix in PVA bags as well as your lead to get to the bottom as soon as possible.

If the lake is large then you will have to work out the features under the water, fish are more likley to hang around things like this, if you have an Island to fish to then attempt to fish tight to the island and slowly work your way out from it - till you find the feeding zone.

Meat, Corn, Boilies as well as a whole range of baits and ground baits will work differently in different waters, if anglers already fishing the area wil not give you the information then start with the basics, a particle method mix and sweet corn on the hook, this will normally always work unless they are switched on to a particular bait, I have always found that the "Sauce Boilie" gets me the fish when nothing else is working.

The water is not very deep because there is a lot of weed in it especialy summer.Also the lake is not that big.There are only a few special fetures e.g reeds to fish to.Also it is pretty much like a canal. :unsure:

Regards James

the best bait is the one used by the bloke dragging them out in the next swim.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Try chick peas. They are dirt cheap and it's unlikely that anybody else is using them. I buy them in bags of a couple of kilos off an Asian food stall and all you have to do is leave them to soak overnight and then boil them until they are of a rubbery texture. When you leave them to soak, put twice as much water as chick peas in the bucket because they expand considerably. Don't bother to add any flavours because they are just fine as they are. You can perhaps add a bit of colour or flavour after the carp have been caught on them for a few months, but add anything straight away and you will only reduce their lifespan.

Rod Hutchinson used to boil them up in tomato soup, but the addition of garlic to the water you are boiling them in is also effective. Even better, they make a nice snck if you get hungry.

I fished a lake where the carp went mad for them and they out fished boilies every time. Just hair rig two or three on a size 6 (or should I say a 7, as it seems to be far trendier at the moment). You can catapult the freebies out a fair distance and you can also put a lot of them out with a Cobra Groundbaiter.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Corn, either double or triple and balanced out with fake corn.

At night i will use mostly boilie's, sometimes with a piece of fluro corn at the stop, Although iv stop using it so much now as it was in an angling mag last month.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I'v found boillies work all round, i have carp at range or inches from the bank on bollies, favourites are Dynamite Baits 'Source' boillies. I think more natural baits also work well like maize, worms bunch of maggots etc

GooD LucK!

Dan