What is the best bait for Carp?

James Pos

Returning to the original question, I've had more carp on deadbaits, especially whitebait, than anything else. Mind you I wasn't fishing for carp at the time!

A cheap and convenient supermarket bait I can recommend for carp is red kidney beans, the sort used in chilli con carne - just 11p per tin from my local supermarket. They're hardly ever used these days thus many carp may never have seen them.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fella that fishes on the lake I go to had a 23lb Mirror on a clove of garlic!

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

A cheap and convenient supermarket bait I can recommend for carp is red kidney beans, the sort used in chilli con carne - just 11p per tin from my local supermarket. They're hardly ever used these days thus many carp may never have seen them.

Totally agree! Ive not used them for ages but they were terrific fished over sweetcorn once the fish became a bit wary of it.

Borlotti Beans and Black Eyed Peas also very cheap and very effective.Best brought dry in bulk then flavoured up with packet soups but can be brought ready to use in tins.Dont worry about them comming in brine either the carp dont!

I just dont know why these baits arnt used any more? after all I doubt whether there is many carp still alive that "remember" them!

Why (other than the ubiqutous Tiger Nut!) dont we still use particles as much? Would we have caught more back then if we had been using modern boillies? I dont know! but the old boillie and paste baits I used in the Late 70's/early 80's seem to still catch just as well.

I honestly reckon any carp angler who is new to the game and hasnt really got an in depth knowledge of bait/cant afford to spend all his cash on ready made boillies could do a lot worse than getting one of the older carp books (Rod Hutchinsons, "The Carp Strikes Back" being one I would reccomend) , reading up on particle baits and taking a trip to his local annimal feed/health food store.

Mind you with the modern "Carp Machine"'s propaganda I doubt whether any one will take any more notice of this bit of advice than if I had sugested par boiled potatoes on a solder blobed low water salmon iron attached to 10" of elasticum wire! :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As for the Mixer situation, Im nearly out of the "life times" supply I nicked (er sorry that should be "donated") from work has nearly gone!

Will have to conduct some serious research into the various brands as an alternative! Im sure Mr Cosworth wont mind assisting by disposing of any of the "rejects".

I seem to remember that when the origonal Chum version changed a few years back there was a load of hysteria re they didnt float anymore/as well?!?! :o:rolleyes:

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not for the first time I'd echo what Budgie has said.

IMO particles aren't used nearly enough, especially on waters rich in natural food. My own pits at Wingham are a classic example. My most succesful bait on the Carp Lake has been maggots, but then the water contains just carp and pike plus a few eels. However, the majority of my members for the majority of the time use boilies - a bait developed to avoid nuisance species!

Of course boilies are a very effective bait in the right situation. But why are they used so much? It certainly isn't for cost reasons! Is it convenience (I nearly said laziness!)? Or is it due to excellent marketing by the bait firms?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I just dont know why these baits arnt used any more?

If there are any consultants from VDE reading this, you can soon expect to see them in a tackle shop near you at 3-4 times the "supermarket" price, and being heavily advertised/endorsed in the angling press.

Then they'll be popular pretty rapidly... <_<

Will have to conduct some serious research into the various brands as an alternative! Im sure Mr Cosworth wont mind assisting by disposing of any of the "rejects".

:lol::lol::lol: Well I am sure he can't tell the difference anyway because half of them end up on the floor! :rolleyes:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/