Hythe Report

maidstonemike

Fished from 19.30 until 22.30. Wind SW 15mph, cool, coloured water, good surf. Big baits for Bass on 5/0 hooks. Two rods, one hook only on each.

Fished close in by the rocks. One LSD about 3 lbs. One other good bite ( probably the same LSD which took the bait like a Bass!)

Local chap said the trawlers have been operating 100yds off the beach all day, and another boat had been setting nets just off the beach all week. that's the Bass gone then, and most other fish, like Sole.

He said nothing caught all week after the first trawl along the beach on Monday.

Will they never learn?

Edited by maidstonemike

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

So its not worth trying there for Mackerel or Bass this weekend?

I may try Dungeness.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony, the Mackerel come in and out at will, moving around, so they should be fine. As for Bass, I think they are netted there on a regular basis. It's very annoying. I really don't know where to go for Bass anymore. Wherever you go, the illegal netters are at it.

You probably woudn't get Bass in the daytime there anyway, more late evening. The tides this weekend are ideal, high around 2200 to 2300 .

For Bass I would go for Dengemarsh rather than Dungeness, more surf.

Edited by maidstonemike

Mike

I will just be plugging and fly fishing so I do not want too much surf to colour up the water. We will be fishing late as we do not plan to get down there much before 19:30 and fish it up to dark.

You've got a good point about the netting every time I go down Hythe way I see trawlers working very close to the beach, criminal really.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I am taking my light beach rod so I might put a bait out, what were you using Mike?

Tony

i hope the weather stays like this after next saturday ,i dont mind blanking or catching rocks in fine weather ,i shall take my lure rod for those clear seas if they last :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i hope the weather stays like this after next saturday ,i dont mind blanking or catching rocks in fine weather ,i shall take my lure rod for those clear seas if they last :)

What lures do you use for rocks then Chester? Do you go after small rocks, or big buggers covered in bladderwrack?

Where is the best mark for middling size rocks, as I can't get many in the boot of the car.

Edited by maidstonemike

I am taking my light beach rod so I might put a bait out, what were you using Mike?

predator frozen mackerel, half a fillet on a 5/0 kamasan, fished very close in. The doggie was only 20 yds out. Just shows that other species are close in at high tide. The 19lb cod I caught in December was 20yds out.

Best of luck.

What lures do you use for rocks then Chester? Do you go after small rocks, or big buggers covered in bladderwrack?

Where is the best mark for middling size rocks, as I can't get many in the boot of the car.

rocks are great ,they hang around in shoals and are pretty openminded to any baits ,the really big ones dont even mind if you put bait on at all and will happily eat your lead .rocks are by far the easiest quarry ;) at the warren :D for determind anglers groins are by far the easiest to catch and line up waiting for you to cast ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson