Hythe Report

maidstonemike

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether chesters 1 is to blame, but there was quite a rock fall at the Warren over the weekend and apparently, another one today.

There are no reports of anyone being hurt.

I do believe he is a portly gentleman. :blink:;)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I don't know whether chesters 1 is to blame, but there was quite a rock fall at the Warren over the weekend and apparently, another one today.

There are no reports of anyone being hurt.

I do believe he is a portly gentleman. :blink:;)

The cliffs along there are very unstable.

What you have now, is the high cliffs behind and low cliffs at the front, with the campsite perched on the plateau between.

What I found amazing was that whole plateau was created by a massive landslip in Victoria times.

Before then the land that the campsite is on was as high as the cliffs at the back are now.

A few years ago, following very heavy winter rains, the chalk cliffs became satuarated and I was schocked at the amount of chalk that had tumbled down during the winter.

The cliffs to the west of the warren, where a path goes down from the hotel are particularly dangerous.

If you ignore the warning signs, there are sometimes some pretty worrying cracks that need to be crossed, as though the whole lot is likely to go at any time!

Good fishing aling there though!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

the rock slip seems to be along by the second apron ,huge machines trundled down there today .

unfortunately the warren (and just about everything else today)is a shadow of its victorian hey day ,there was a station down there and it was the hight of fashion to be there.

the aprons and concrete protection are in serious condition and severely undermined and it will cost millions to fix due to neglect in the lat few years (several parts have fallen off since april ),strange in victorian times money was found to create vast pleasure areas but today they are all gone (the paths by the lifts in the center of folkestone are a classic example ,most just closed off rubbish repositaries) and the steps down to the warren from the roman site long gone :angry:

victorians in their time moved the earth now few even move their arses to realise a bit of money to keep it maintained is better than a huge amount to restore it. :angry::angry:

in 2001 a huge slip occurred just beyond the little switzerland cafe ,we camped there a week later and it was still crumbling ,holes had appeared on the top of the cliff and the rain had perculated the chalk causing it to break away .

there is a tunnel from the top to the bottom (not the several sets of steps) but its been bricked up for years.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson