NOTTINGHAM ANGLERS ASSOCIATION

pip

Hi, i am new to the nottingham area and am looking at places to fish i have noticed that notts aa own quite a lot of waters ,can anyone give me advice on:

1:would it be a good idea to join NAA

2:if i join are you allowed to take members of your family with you to watch(as i have a 13 year old daughter who says she is interested in learning to fish but i don't want to shell out on any fishing gear untill she has actually been on a fishing trip and has seen what it intales.

3: i have noticed on the NAA website it gives you a list of their waters some say members only and some sell day tickets, so am i right to belive that the day ticket venues are for members and NONE members?

i would be very grateful for any help on these matters or any advice on where to fish around nottinghamshire, i am perticually interested in fisherys with on peg parking or not to far away as i suffer arthritis in my left anckle joint :angry: (which i why i invested in a trolley to make life easier) :thumbs:

many kind regards pip

Hi Pip,

I'd say yes yes & yes to those 3 questions if you're fishing a lot in Nott'm.

No longer live up there sadly, but still fish Beeston Weir on the Day Ticket (haven't seen a bailiff for years though).

Beeston Weir down to Clifton Grove is a superb if heavily fished stretch, though not the most accessible if your ankle's dodgy..

Other posters here will be better versed than me downstream of Nott'm.

Don't forget the Vic Embankment's free right through the centre, free parking & easy access via Wilford/Meadows.

You're a lucky man, Nottingham's it.

Simon

Just read my membership book and it doesnt say anything about not allowing ppl to watch you fish, and yes there are day ticket stretches open to non members but are covered by the club book, But i would recomend you getting the key for fishing the ponds in close the close season :P

:sun: Thanks alot simon and mark i appreciate your input. anyone got any more thoughts on this subject as i won't decide what to do yet. Although i am going to have a look around smeaton lakes(newark) this weekend anybody fished here?

]HI Pip,

It is a good idea to join N.A.A ,also ifyou are rich,join Notts Federation as well.Some sections of the waters are for members of N.A.A only,such as the first 150 yards below Gunthorpe Weir,and then the rest of the stretch of water is for members and day ticket holders.Members are asked to police the first 150 yards as it is a prolific stretch for big barbel etc.

I have never had trouble with taking my son along,and even leting him"have a go" but do clear it with the bailiff .

Best sites on the Trent are always below the weirs,lots of fish and no boats or water skiiers!

Ray

Cheers Ray, i just might join N.A.A, just realised i live 10 mins from Bestwood Duck ponds(by car) i think its members only but like the idea of being close to home.Anyone got any info on this i.e parking/how it fishers/what the pegs are like/best pond for the pleasure fisher? Thanks alot everyone for your help and advice.

pip

Hi Pip,

It's a long while ago that I fished the Bestwood Duck ponds,but there is a car park there just before the ponds. Fishing has to be done from pegs only and the use of ground bait is limited. Best fish used to come from fishing the lily pads or floating a crust against the reeds or reed islands.

I remember floating a crust tight on to the island on the first lake,absolutely perfect for the carp,only to see a coot head appear from the reeds and take my crust. Too late was my respose,I'd hooked the dam thing.Great comotion in the reed bed,all the other anglers turning to look.What do you do? I gave a sharp tug and got back a straightend hook but felt very awkward the rest of the day.--- the coot---he appeared ten minutes later from the reed bed realy giving some loud clucks.

Ray

Fished bestwod and sowbrook in the month before the open season, you need a key to get in to the carparks pip as for the fishing only fished no1 pond on bestwood and i have to say i was a tad dissapointed with the tench fishing {3.00am starts didnt work} only had the 1 about 5lbs but plenty of small skimmers and roach similar with sowbrook but was only fishing for the little un,s had about 14 lbs in 4 and a bit hrs to pole fished maggot hope its been some help.

There's loads of day ticket waters around - its just a matter of if you wanna shell out the 3 or 4 quid each time, or buy a fed book at 24 which covers the whole season and all their waters. Holme Pierrepont regatta lake and surrounding ponds are quite accessible, as is the Trent and canals in Nottingham. More info (if I can give it) if you wanna email ( tgssmith @ hotmail . co m )