What a beauty......

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now thats making me feel guilty eating spider crabs :blink:

But I think the sea is infested with them at the moment.So a few wont go a miss.

It will save the French and Spanish nabbing them all :lol:

Blimey you muzt be ze first englander I know that eats spider crabs, and lovely they are too, especially with a cabbage loaf or a french stick.

:clap2:

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Blimey you muzt be ze first englander I know that eats spider crabs, and lovely they are too, especially with a cabbage loaf or a french stick.

:clap2:

Hiya Mark.

I tried my first spider crab on The tope meet we had a few weeks back.It was a monster.We boiled the legs then stuck them on the BBQ.It tasted superb :thumbs:

Is it just the legs we can eat or can the crab be cooked whole?

zzippy2.gif

More power to his elbow...

I am happy to kill things for food, but I don't think I could have killed that...Some creatures deserve a bit of respect...especially if they are two or three times older than you.

I just hope it makes it, and gets back to wherever it calls home...

Knowing the ways of the world however, it will probably cark it and be washed up somewhere in a couple of days :(

Having said that, the latest research on lobsters apparently shows that they can travel vast distances during their lifetime.

Edited by finn17

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

What a Magnificent beastie!!! Cheers for posting that YY!!!....and what a good lad puttin it back where it belongs!... Great story and lovely to see that there are still some monsters left to be found! :D

All the Best, Art

Hiya Mark.

I tried my first spider crab on The tope meet we had a few weeks back.It was a monster.We boiled the legs then stuck them on the BBQ.It tasted superb :thumbs:

Is it just the legs we can eat or can the crab be cooked whole?

Just like a normal Brown crab (Chancre) you can eat more than just the claws.

Boil for 20 minutes not to much salt, run under the cold tap for a few minutes after cooked, this seperates the meat from the shell which is handy for getting all the meat out of the legs in one piece without having to crack them open, the meat in the pincers should remain in one piece also, prise the top half of the shell slightly and sit the crab on its back edge, this will let the water drain out of the shell leave to cool.

Once cool split the top half from the bottom, you can eat the "brown" in the top half of the shell, it's nice mixed with the meat, and use a crab picker or back end of a teaspoon to pick the meat out of the many pockets in the main body, dont eat the secondary shell that may be forming or the devils fingers, which are the filters that sit on top of the crabs inner body.

If you catch a female you can also eat the eggs and the roe but I usually put them back.

:yeah:

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Just like a normal Brown crab (Chancre) you can eat more than just the claws.

Boil for 20 minutes not to much salt, run under the cold tap for a few minutes after cooked, this seperates the meat from the shell which is handy for getting all the meat out of the legs in one piece without having to crack them open, the meat in the pincers should remain in one piece also, prise the top half of the shell slightly and sit the crab on its back edge, this will let the water drain out of the shell leave to cool.

Once cool split the top half from the bottom, you can eat the "brown" in the top half of the shell, it's nice mixed with the meat, and use a crab picker or back end of a teaspoon to pick the meat out of the many pockets in the main body, dont eat the secondary shell that may be forming or the devils fingers, which are the filters that sit on top of the crabs inner body.

If you catch a female you can also eat the eggs and the roe but I usually put them back.

:yeah:

Thanks for that bit of info :thumbs:

I will try the whole crab next time.We didnt have a pot big enough with us on the Tope meet.But it was still really tastey done on the BBQ :)

We are off to Xchurch ledge on Wednesday.No doubt there will be loads of Crabs there.I think over here we can only take 2 Crabs per day.Same with Lobsters.Which is a good thing really.

zzippy2.gif

lobster5mm.jpg

with hindsight i woulda put this back but i ate it :(

but i learnt a lot on this site in the last year and my

way of doing things have changed

and yes i tasted lovely

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

HF,

A picture for every occasion... who told you that you tasted lovely :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

lobster5mm.jpg

with hindsight i woulda put this back but i ate it :(

but i learnt a lot on this site in the last year and my

way of doing things have changed

and yes i tasted lovely

No problem with that IMO. As long as you ate it... Eating prey is a a mark of respect. My personal 'Golden Rule' is...if you kill it ....you have to eat it... :)

I do make exceptions for the odd rat I shoot however :D

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo