Fishing in Tenerife

me

Whereabouts in Tenerife are you going ?

Big difference between North and South of the island.

Generally

Fishing off the harbour walls can be productive for smallish fish especially bream can be caught by float fishing bread or prawn with prawn being the favourite. From the harbour walls and jetties you can see the shoals of bream etc. swimming around in the clear water. There are also plenty of mullet and some wrasse; the occasional bass and baracuda, small live baits or lures would be best for them, baracuda need wire traces and forceps to unhook them !

Most of the outside harbour walls are reinforced with huge concrete blocks and they are alive with crustaceans and fish. Most of the fish you see in day time are fairly small so light weight tackle and small sea floats are fine as well as being easy to hide in the luggage :)

Beware of fishing inside the harbours as this is against the bye-laws and usually strictly enforced, by the local civil police.

Strictly a rod licence is required even for sea fishing but I don't know of many people on holiday who bother and I've never heard of anyone being asked for one.

Boat fishing all depends on what you are looking for and you need to decide that and choose who you go with as its not cheap and there are some good and some very bad :(

nick

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mum and dad took me and a mate when i was 14 to playas das americas (or somthing like that) and let us off the leash! didnt do any fishing just cought a bad case of clamidia and a nasty right hook from a german! so not all bad then lol

Qeffaz :lol::lol::lol:

Found my mirror image ;)

Plenty of good advice there Elton. Just hope the time share touts are not as numeous as they used to be :(

When we used to go for strolls along the sea front the wife used to walk 10m in front of me as they were just targeting couples. Enjoy it :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

LOL I've been there often enough to know how to deal with that lot.

Earlier in the year, it was bliss - the police did a crackdown on them and we didn't see any for a week :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Whereabouts in Tenerife are you going ?

Big difference between North and South of the island.

Generally

Fishing off the harbour walls can be productive for smallish fish especially bream can be caught by float fishing bread or prawn with prawn being the favourite. From the harbour walls and jetties you can see the shoals of bream etc. swimming around in the clear water. There are also plenty of mullet and some wrasse; the occasional bass and baracuda, small live baits or lures would be best for them, baracuda need wire traces and forceps to unhook them !

Most of the outside harbour walls are reinforced with huge concrete blocks and they are alive with crustaceans and fish. Most of the fish you see in day time are fairly small so light weight tackle and small sea floats are fine as well as being easy to hide in the luggage :)

Beware of fishing inside the harbours as this is against the bye-laws and usually strictly enforced, by the local civil police.

Strictly a rod licence is required even for sea fishing but I don't know of many people on holiday who bother and I've never heard of anyone being asked for one.

Boat fishing all depends on what you are looking for and you need to decide that and choose who you go with as its not cheap and there are some good and some very bad :(

nick

Nick,

I'll be in Los Cristianos.

Do you know where the licences are obtained from?

Cheers for the information above - much appreciated,

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Guest franticfisherman2

I've caught garfish at Los Christianos on floatfished mackerel strip. There are big stingrays to be caught on deadbaits in the harbour but you need some stout gear for them. Also had spanish mackerel (I think!) on a mullet rapala. There were a lot of large weaver from a charter boat I was on so be careful of those. Also had lizard fish on a Krill type spinner in the harbour. Plenty of variety and no one ever asked for a licence. Good luck. you can buy bait from the fish market at the harbour.

What on earth is a lizard fish? Sounds like the mother-in-law!!!

Cheers again for the info.

Guest franticfisherman2
What on earth is a lizard fish? Sounds like the mother-in-law!!!

Cheers again for the info.

When you come back you might know! :D

• 1 year later...

Well, did sod all fishing last time, but I'm out there again next week for a two week break and am DEFINITELY taking a telescopic rod this time. I can't bear the thought of two weeks there without fishing, especially as I'm skint and will have no beer money.

Well, did sod all fishing last time, but I'm out there again next week for a two week break and am DEFINITELY taking a telescopic rod this time. I can't bear the thought of two weeks there without fishing, especially as I'm skint and will have no beer money.

I would try the telly rods you are taking with float in harbour..using bread and if you can get hold of a fish..chop up for bait..just try and see....been going to the Island for years and not seen anything big caught...if you go to Gomera its the same sort of fishing..you have to get away from the small fish..twice a year I look into Los Gigantes harbour and Jersey and see the mullet...what a sight..think if you fished for them now you would be shot....in the late 60s we fished for mullet in Guernesy and they was special fish...you need sort of carp size hooks in Tenerife...no 6/0s...unless put a pennel down 6/0 with big bait and leave over night..you my get a nice squid/octopuss...for bigger stuff you have to go out..not far.