Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, June 26, 2006

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

The summer rains have finally started to arrive with relative consistency here on the Indian River Lagoon Coast of Florida. A weak sub-tropical low-pressure system settled in just north of the Bahamas, answering our prayers by delivering some relief from the persistent drought we been experiencing this year. Over the last week, stormy conditions have prevailed, but that doesn’t mean the fish aren’t biting.

Although our afternoons have been occupied by the sounds of distant thunder, our mornings have been serene and calm. As the afternoon storms build, they quickly dissipate and move seaward. Their remnants are converted into a pre-dawn light show visible in the eastern sky over the Gulf Stream. During these predawn hours, unruffled winds turn the lagoon into a sheet of glass, perfect conditions for sight fishing. Additionally, the distant thunderheads over the Atlantic distort the suns rising rays fabricating magnificent sunrises, and cloud’s shadows extend the periods of low light, facilitating the top-water bite.

Such was the case last week, as I poled Three Quarter Time in the direction of a group of happy redfish, and my client MO was hooked up and landed a 42-inch 28-pound redfish before the sun cleared the horizon. The fish gods had certainly smiled upon us, as two more groups of tails become visible in the distance. At one point, the challenge was to decide which school to pursue, and before 9am, Mo had successfully boated and released 97-pounds of redfish. I know 97-pounds sounds like a lot of fish, but the interesting leg of the equation is that only four fish were caught. The first was caught on a chunk of fresh crab, the second on a live finger mullet, and the third and fourth were taken on chunks of mullet

On Saturday, I relinquished my charter time by volunteering to assist the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Florida Sport Fish Association with the Port Canaveral Kids Fishing Day. I haven’t heard the final count, but I’m willing to guess that over a thousand kids attended the event, and all of the sweat bestow by the volunteers was well worth it. Saturday was the fourth time I assisted at the clinic, and each time the event grows larger. It’s extremely important to introduce the pleasures of fishing to these kids, because they are the future of the resource, and they will be the ones who will have to clean up our mess.

As always, if you need information or have any questions, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 office

407-416-1187 on the water

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank

Great report Tom,

Well written and brings out the reasons why a lot of us go fishing

Makes me kind of wish I was there.

Time spent teaching kids and encouraging them is always time well spent because as you put it so well "they are the future of our sport"

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org