lobster pots

tomcat

I've just bought a small(14 inches diameter by about 2 foot length), collapsible lobster pot in the hope of taking a lobster or two while out fishing on the yak.

Has anyone out there used these before as I'm unsure how much weight needs to be added to the pot, and the best way to attach the weight(s) to stop it drifting.

I shall be using it on rough reef ground about 15 to 30 feet deep with a fairly strong tidal flow.

Thanks for any help.

Tomcat

Tomcat let me know how you get on as Ive just got a similar bait trap. Once I get the chance to use it will let you know how i get on.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Tom,

I have one too! Nifty got it forme and gave it to me at the weekend - not rigged it yet but the weight needs to be low on the side AWAY from the bait - this will help stop crabs picking the bait pocket to pieces.

A piece of roofing lead would do it - where you are going to put it will need a good 1lb of lead spread fairly well over the frame so as to avoid bending it - they are not that strong!

A better piece of cordage will be needed too. I intend to use a house brick with holes in it (stand by to be told what one is really called - a frog or something) as an ADDITIONAL weight on a drop line off one end - this will anchor it in positiona nd the weight in the trap will stop it from rolling about too much. Once you can get it between a couple of rocks the tide will be deflected. Your cordage needs to be long enough to stop the buoy being draged under the surface too - use a mooring pick up buoy I would.

Anyone using these, don't forget there is a good reason for the minimum landing size of lobsters - they are slow growing and very easy to fish out. It is illegal to land a lobster with a V cut out of its tail - these are all females - and also I believe the minimum size is now 90mm - that is not the length of the lobster, just the carapace from the eye socket to the back of the head section. A good measure thatmy brother in law uses is to have an old comb and break off the teeth unti you have the right length guage - it works well. The thick end of the comb and the last tooth left inplace is your measurememnt.

Be good chaps and respect the landing size - for the future of th lobster population - YES, taking just one DOES hurt. If several people all take "just one"....and besides, IF you get shopped it is your kayak gone without a doubt as it will be impounded - possibly your car too if you have ANY fishing gear in your car at the time!

Have fun everyone, and don't think I am nagging - wait until Ii really get a bee in my bonnet. Conservation is something I hold very highly.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Tom,

I have one too! Nifty got it forme and gave it to me at the weekend - not rigged it yet but the weight needs to be low on the side AWAY from the bait - this will help stop crabs picking the bait pocket to pieces.

A piece of roofing lead would do it - where you are going to put it will need a good 1lb of lead spread fairly well over the frame so as to avoid bending it - they are not that strong!

A better piece of cordage will be needed too. I intend to use a house brick with holes in it (stand by to be told what one is really called - a frog or something) as an ADDITIONAL weight on a drop line off one end - this will anchor it in positiona nd the weight in the trap will stop it from rolling about too much. Once you can get it between a couple of rocks the tide will be deflected. Your cordage needs to be long enough to stop the buoy being draged under the surface too - use a mooring pick up buoy I would.

Anyone using these, don't forget there is a good reason for the minimum landing size of lobsters - they are slow growing and very easy to fish out. It is illegal to land a lobster with a V cut out of its tail - these are all females - and also I believe the minimum size is now 90mm - that is not the length of the lobster, just the carapace from the eye socket to the back of the head section. A good measure thatmy brother in law uses is to have an old comb and break off the teeth unti you have the right length guage - it works well. The thick end of the comb and the last tooth left inplace is your measurememnt.

Be good chaps and respect the landing size - for the future of th lobster population - YES, taking just one DOES hurt. If several people all take "just one"....and besides, IF you get shopped it is your kayak gone without a doubt as it will be impounded - possibly your car too if you have ANY fishing gear in your car at the time!

Have fun everyone, and don't think I am nagging - wait until Ii really get a bee in my bonnet. Conservation is something I hold very highly.

A GOOD point, well said Simon! :thumbs: Also remember without a licence you may land only 2 legal size lobsters!!!!! A mate of mine is a crew member of our local fisheries boat and they take it VERY seriously! no exceptions even if they know you they are obliged to act, and like Simon says it is car gone, gear gone. HUGE fine etc etc........NOT worth it! BUT.......stick to the rules and enjoy 2 free lobsters (not females) after your trip, yum yum!

Good luck boys :)

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Another thing to watch out for is a 'berried' lobster. These are also females and will have the eggs under the tail. The official size for lobster in Wales (North) is 87mm carapace length - you should check with the local SFC byelaws for size in your area. Regarding the traps: I use a string of three, all tied together with an anchor at both ends and enough rope between each pot to enable you to lift each individual pot out of the water without having the weight of the next pot causing you a problem when emptying.

I hope this helps.

Hi all,

I was just on my way out of the door to pick up a collapsable prawn trap for my trip to Scotland when I saw this thread.

Another word of warning....

Merlin who has just started using this forum was in the media spotlight last fortnight(you'll know where Simon) as,in our local estuary he discovered two dead otters in one of these collapsable traps.It was a mother and grown youngster. :(

Not sure what to say about preventing this except for not using it anywhere near where otters are suspected to visit and also use the correct pot for your intended target .This pot had a 5.5 " opening but was not in an area where you would find crabs/lobsters.It may have drifted in from the sea but then the lesson should be that it wasn't secured effectively.These are very light weight traps and not designed to be left out for any length of time.(I imagine all on here only intend using them as a bit of fun whilst out paddling and wouldn't leave them out anyway)

Like any trap it is the setters responsibility to check them regulary.

Jon.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

My nephew traps signal crayfish, using the traps as described on this post, and you've got to make sure your weight is secured and in the right position , as the traps can tip , blocking the entrance hole. He's mate laid 15 traps for him the other day, caught jack 5hit as most of them had tipped.

Hi Tomcat,

Be aware that what is allowed and legal in one area may not be in another. As Tobasco said, "check with the local SFC byelaws". Your local Sea Fisheries Committee will probably have a website with details of the byelaws for your area - try a search on "sea fisheries committee".

BTW: You may even be breaking the law (depending on your area) by using certain types of bait in your pots!

Best of luck :thumbs:

Pat. Pending

Because preserving Wildlife and preserving the enviroment go hand in hand i'll post this here instead of starting a new thead if that's ok Tomcat.

“Conservation is something I hold very highly".

Sorry to jump on you’re bandwagon Simon and I apologise in advance if I mirror anything you say but I’m totally agreement.

I would hope and wish that we all felt the same way, unfortunately not the case, only yesterday I was speaking with one of the local fishermen about the amount of rubbish that I come across washed up along the shoreline, I know some of it cant be helped, storm damage etc, but in particular one cave I explored was full of broken nets, pot/net markers, crates, dustbins, chemical containers and at least 50 or so 2ltr plastic bottles, which I know some have also been used for Bass fishing, I removed the netting and fishing line that I found while I was there.

The beach at Grève de Lecq which is used by everyone is littered with the remains of dead fish, for the last two days there has been a dead wrasse rotting on the tide line; it was at least 3-4lbs in size turquoise in colour with slices in its side as if it was going to be used in a pot.

Naturally nobody knows where It’s come from and just last week an electric ray, this coupled with fishing line, bait/feather packets etc tarnish all of us with the same brush, and of course this is excluding the rest of the rubbish people leave behind in particular broken Budweiser bottles left at the bottom of stairs, deliberately half buried to cause someone an injury.

It’s been said a million times in a million ways but once more wont hurt

WE are ALL responsible for conserving and preserving wildlife and our environment, for the now and for future, just because we won’t be here in a hundred years time doesn’t give us a license to be selfish, look after nature and she will look after you.

Good luck with the Pot Tomcat. ( just re-read that, lobster pot I meant)

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15