smoked mackerell top food

darlick

Guest challenge
salt brine easy one part salt to eight parts water and half the amount of sugar as salt, for example one cup of salt half cup of sugar and eight cups of water,place fish in brine for thirty five mins take out and rinse fish and let them dry off for a while and into smoker mackerel and white fish i only give them four to six hours but that is my own taste,experiment to suit your own, you can also just dry salt just sprinkle salt on fillet i would do thirty mins again with mackerel and white fish.i do prefer brine the fish stays nice and moist,it tends to be a lot dryer with dry salt.salmon different again the old books will tell you to dry salt for one hour per one lb of the round fish so ten lb salmon ten hours, i found this to be to long to salty so i halfed it and have had great results,i like them to be in smoke for at least twenty four hours,its a good hobby and worth sticking at you may have the odd hick up but when you get it sussed,its great food only prblem is the neighbours smell the smoke and you end up giveing most of it away. :)

Hi darlick.

Great information on smoking, could you give me your address so that I can buy the house next door?

:):)

I got one from lidls last year, it's stainless steel and cost £20 but there was no instruction book with it :schmoll: We (Liam & I) are into River Cottage and have all the books, Hugh describes how to make one and various methods but I still have to have a go with mine. I am taking it to Scilly (weight permitting) so I want to practice before we go as we eat a lot of mackeral there.

Getting the wood is a problem, I got some Hickory chips , have you tried those? and how do you get it going, ie how much dry wood to get it started or is that trail & error?

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I got one from lidls last year, it's stainless steel and cost £20 but there was no instruction book with it :schmoll: We (Liam & I) are into River Cottage and have all the books, Hugh describes how to make one and various methods but I still have to have a go with mine. I am taking it to Scilly (weight permitting) so I want to practice before we go as we eat a lot of mackeral there.

Getting the wood is a problem, I got some Hickory chips , have you tried those? and how do you get it going, ie how much dry wood to get it started or is that trail & error?

lyn

Lyn i tend to use oak mostly,i have a few mates that have joinery shops so whenever they are useing oak i get them to bag the shavings up for me,it gives them a chance to give there floors a sweep before they start so i only end up with the oak and not a load of nasty stuff.i have used juniper and that works well nice smell,but hard to get hold of, now in the Askari mag they do a lot of different wood shaveings never tried any but very good with mail order.i just use newspaper to set mine going, light a small fire and gently push shavings over it you just need to have it smoldering with a nice white smoke not a yellow smoke that tends to give a bitter taste.if your shavings are dry it should light easy,good luck

Lyn i tend to use oak mostly,i have a few mates that have joinery shops so whenever they are useing oak i get them to bag the shavings up for me,it gives them a chance to give there floors a sweep before they start so i only end up with the oak and not a load of nasty stuff.i have used juniper and that works well nice smell,but hard to get hold of, now in the Askari mag they do a lot of different wood shaveings never tried any but very good with mail order.i just use newspaper to set mine going, light a small fire and gently push shavings over it you just need to have it smoldering with a nice white smoke not a yellow smoke that tends to give a bitter taste.if your shavings are dry it should light easy,good luck

[/quotedarlick I have a mate who I fish with down off Southwold..he's into all this smoking and curing job...he use's chips from what tree he needs...but he soak's them in water before putting onto the smoke thing...he say's this give's a better cold smoke job???...he's done some lovely Bacon...any way if we go on 84hr trip 07/07 I will leave some fillets for you with mallette ..to smoke...cheers Graham

This link tells you how to build and use a hot smoker

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/11.html

and this has a recipe for how to brine mackeral, plus a mackeral pate recipe

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/9.html

Hope that helps!

Edited by Salar

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk