Big Trout

flufflinger

I posted this discussion on fly fishing for big trout in February at http://www.midlands-flyfishing.co.uk/blog/...-big-trout.html

I would be interested in hearing what everyone hear thinks about the subject.

sure big trout can be fun

If they are natural,strong fish. Many fisheries stock fat lazy fish that are as much fun to catch as a sack of potatoes.

my largest rainbow trout is 18lb 12oz

my largest brown trout is 3lb 11oz

the rainbow was stocked probably that week

the brownie was stocked probably 3-5 years ago

both very large fish in thier own right but guess which I'm proudest of?

on the other hand I've had stockies between 5-8lb that nearly pulled my arm off

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "quality beats size everytime" (I hope) :oops:

post-9691-1151857147_thumb.jpg

I posted this discussion on fly fishing for big trout in February at http://www.midlands-flyfishing.co.uk/blog/...-big-trout.html

I would be interested in hearing what everyone hear thinks about the subject.

I do enjoy catching large trout occaisionally, but mine are wild browns...3.5.jpg

such as this one last week. Artificially grown on monsters are just that, monsters. I fish a rainbow lake that has some very large (double figure) rainbows in it but these are stocked at 1-2lb but big as they are, the body shape is built for the weight and they can fight well. Big round pigs are heavy....but are obese...and when was the last time you saw an obese athlete?

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I love catching big trout! But from a big water. I have fished smaller waters but places like Grafham and Rutland do it for me.

A grown on Raindow stocked at 1 - 1.5lbs coming out at 5lbs or bigger takes some beating.

My biggest Rainbow from Grafham weighed in at 11lb 06oz and was a fantastic conditioned fish that fought extremely hard and almost straightened the hook. This fish was almost certainly stocked at 1lb and was around 5 years old when I hooked it.

Browns are a bit thin on the ground at these big waters and tend to become uncatchable as they get big and generally don't rise to a fly readily.

I certainly wouldn't want them stocked at weights above say 2lbs.

Colin

Thanks for the feedback so far! Keep it coming.

I myself enjoy fishing waters from small lakes to large reservoirs, small streams to large rivers. My ultimate is stalking fish in clear water.

I have to say catching larger than average trout for a given water by stalking is rewarding. Catching large grown on or wild fish is great and often challenging, particularly when stalking. In the last couple of years I have found blind fishing a little boring.

I agree that fish stocked in poor shape are not pretty and fight like a brick. This goes regardless of size or water. Large recently stocked fish in good condition will fight well (at least they will if the water is not cooking them as it currently is) and in small to medium waters often wise up quicker than fish in large waters due to greater angler numbers per acre.

When just stocked any fish can be easy, so can wild fish if the fishing pressure is low. I've fished streams where wild browns would grab anything you threw at them. The reason? No one else bothered to fish for them!

Something to think about?

Thanks for the feedback so far! Keep it coming.

I myself enjoy fishing waters from small lakes to large reservoirs, small streams to large rivers. My ultimate is stalking fish in clear water.

some of the bet fun i've had has been catching small trout from feeder burns that run to very large lochs