What is your best bait for Tench ?

James Pos

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this year ive had all my tench on free lining baits. ive mainly used freelined bread and ive had bite after bite. the other day i used freelined corn. couldnt get much distance on it but still manged to get a 4lb tench and hooked and lost a double figure carp. i was only fishing a about a rod lenght on the bank. but watch your rod i had mine oulled in by the tench.

84854438.png

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Can any of you tell me what is your best bait for Tench? I want to catch some tench on this pit that can get very weeded over in summer can someone help? I have never fished for tench on there yet.:help:

Regards James

Red maggots and lots of em. :blink:

atb

malc

The choice of baits for tench can change from minute to minute. I've also had , like a lot of people on here , good success with red maggot but it can be susceptible to perch/rudd frenzy. Small cubes of luncheon meat have also done the job . My local club lake tench , amazingly , don't seem to take corn too easily , preferring the maggot/meat approach.

And don't forget trusty old bread flake. Down on the Military canal , we used to use flake the size of a swan vesta match box.....never put the tench off .

Oh , and prawns or any 'fishy' bait can sometimes pick out the bigger Tinca's

Good luck with your quest

Paul

Can any of you tell me what is your best bait for Tench? I want to catch some tench on this pit that can get very weeded over in summer can someone help? I have never fished for tench on there yet.:help:

Regards James

i hav had good fishing with pop up sweetcorn as this will sit on top of weed,tench love it

all the best andrew

And don't forget trusty old bread flake. Down on the Military canal , we used to use flake the size of a swan vesta match box.....never put the tench off .

We used to do the same in the Leeds Liverpool canal by Aintree racecourse, many years ago. Big lumps of breadflake lowered over the edge of the weedbeds that grew out to the main boat channel. Fish that needed a pound bottom fishing maggot or caster out in the open would happily take big lumps of bread out of the weed on six pound line.

One of the problems with using maggots and sweetcorn is that a lot of smaller fish like them baits as well.

If there is not to many small fish about I would try the above but

there was a lot of small fish I would use large baits like meat for ordinary fishing.

Another way you can catch them is to use carp tackle eg boilies ect.

Ian Flynn