What facilities is there at your local charter pontoon ?

glennk

Hi Norman. If you read slacklines post it appears there is now nothing to open. The toilets are no more. Ive seen this type of action before around these parts. There once stood a pub on Larpool in Whitby with years of history. The old Labour club or fairmead as it was known. Then a housing association buys it. Going to knock it down and build houses. Objections fly in left right and centre. Talk of it being a listed building and stuff - no way can they demolish it. Then before anyone can do anything about it the thing dissapears.

When they are gone they are gone and suddenly people stop complaining because they know the battle is lost. Slowly but surely our town is becoming something the real locals don't even recognise anymore and it seems those that belong here are powerless to stop it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap2: It happens all the time with the tacit approval of the council. I remember a case in Portsmouth with the redevelopement of a listed building. Loads of work undertaken that shouldn't have been but they 'got away with it'. Seems that their legal advisors told them to do it and if they were caught they'd just get a slap on the wrist, not be made to re-instate the building.. The head of the legal business was a local councillor but not actually involved with the case because of a declared interest. This all came to light when a firm involved with office clearances bought some filing cabinets and found papers relating to the case in the bottom of one, nothing happened to the councillor as he'd had 'nothing to do with the actual case', just happened that his firm did all the work, not him. That's why firms employ officials and their firms. :clap2: Edited by Norm B

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 5 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: It happens all the time with the tacit approval of the council. I remember a case in Portsmouth with the redevelopement of a listed building. Loads of work undertaken that shouldn't have been but they 'got away with it'. Seems that their legal advisors told them to do it and if they were caught they'd just get a slap on the wrist, not be made to re-instate the building.. The head of the legal business was a local councillor but not actually involved with the case because of a declared interest. This all came to light when a firm involved with office clearances bought some filing cabinets and found papers relating to the case in the bottom of one, nothing happened to the councillor as he'd had 'nothing to do with the actual case', just happened that his firm did all the work, not him. That's why firms employ officials and their firms. :clap2:

:clap2: Langstone harbour facilities. Portsmouth side, burger van, free parking, (limited) free slipway, I think it is still, toilets long gone, demolished or shut I believe. Shame because it's a ferry crossing point and bus terminus, get caught short and it's a problem. Hayling side, take away cafe, toilets, good pub, pub food, pub car park, small charge in summer for anglers, small pay and display council parking area, slipway, not free, limited space for trailers etc. Portsmoth harbour, I'll let you know after tomorrow. :clap2:

It just beggas beliefe with these people the arogance to ignor public opinion, they think they have won but we are now looking at taking legal advice the council conned us they lobeyed the charter skippers into agreeing to a 5 year contract to put the charter skippers pontoon into place using EU grants to obtain the pontoon for next to nothing exspence occuring to them and making excess of £20000 a year of the charter boats ,the origanal proposal from SBC was it was in a perfect position for the charter boat pontoon to be placed a large car park ajacent to the pontoon and tiolets for your customers arriving early morning, SBC has made somewhere in the region of £200000 since this pontoon was positioned into place and now thay have renaged on there side of the bargain it stinks like i said they got EU money to positon this pontoon for tourism something is seriously amiss here.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
How to win an argument

In the past an argument would be won by logical and accurate facts being put forward, lengthy discussion and debate, And a willingness for compromise on all sides.

In this modern age the way seems to be far removed from this. Governments around the world impose there way on who ever they want and when ever they want. President Bush and Premier Blair on Iraq, Israel on the Lebanon, Scarborough on Whitby !!!!

There has smouldered sometimes and raged on others, arguments over various issues within Whitby. The main one in recent times being the marina and its commercial premises. The reason given for business premises has been give as a method of financing the extra maintenance of the marina.

With revenues of around £890,000 in the year 2005/2006 I wonder why we need more revenue. But the powers that be have decreed it, so it will be.

The latest argument has come from Whitby’s Harbour users group and the Whitby Charter boats. The debate centres around the closure of the toilet block on Church Street and whether they will be reopened. Scarborough Council have ended the argument in their own way without the need for further debate.

THEY HAVE KNOCKED THEM DOWN

END OF ARGUMENT

p.s.

When can we expect the tanks to come rumbling down Downdinner Hill?

So there you have it

How to win an argument by slackline?

In the past an argument would be won by logical and accurate facts being put forward, lengthy discussion and debate, and willingness for compromise on all sides.

That’s a new one on me less? When ever have you abided to your brief but comical statement above?

I always thought that your philosophy on argument was that the long term versus the short term argument is one used by losers.

When the tanks do come rolling down dinner hill, do you think anybody would stand in front of them? This toilet job to me sounds like a job for portaloo? Or do what we do on the otherwise of the harbor, have a toilet on your boat and make sure your down on the boat an hour before you are scheduled to sail.

Still I must say that people like myself (who have a week bladder) don’t half miss the church street toilets being closed.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 5 2006, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 5 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:clap2: It happens all the time with the tacit approval of the council. I remember a case in Portsmouth with the redevelopement of a listed building. Loads of work undertaken that shouldn't have been but they 'got away with it'. Seems that their legal advisors told them to do it and if they were caught they'd just get a slap on the wrist, not be made to re-instate the building.. The head of the legal business was a local councillor but not actually involved with the case because of a declared interest. This all came to light when a firm involved with office clearances bought some filing cabinets and found papers relating to the case in the bottom of one, nothing happened to the councillor as he'd had 'nothing to do with the actual case', just happened that his firm did all the work, not him. That's why firms employ officials and their firms. :clap2:

:clap2: Langstone harbour facilities. Portsmouth side, burger van, free parking, (limited) free slipway, I think it is still, toilets long gone, demolished or shut I believe. Shame because it's a ferry crossing point and bus terminus, get caught short and it's a problem. Hayling side, take away cafe, toilets, good pub, pub food, pub car park, small charge in summer for anglers, small pay and display council parking area, slipway, not free, limited space for trailers etc. Portsmoth harbour, I'll let you know after tomorrow. :clap2:

its a pity the damn buses dont arive at the same time as the ferry ,although (only once) we "caught" the ferrymans eye and he came over early.its great to see the schoolkids take the ferry in their stride even the little ones ,nowadays its probably one of the few places where parents dont use 4x4's to drop them off :rolleyes:

only on the last day did we realise you can take motor bikes on there ,would have saved a copper or two on the bus fare to pompey and back from the ferry "terminal" although about a hundred yard trip isnt really a trip at all :D

its unfortunately been a few years since we had a boat trip ,the chap from the cafe used to collect the parking fee and there used to be a strange VW camper there with "portholes" probably long rusted away ,i like that side of hayling we stayed in the camper at fishermans creek on the other side a strange choice of name for a creek with absolutely no fish :rolleyes:

hmm the quote dooda seems to have had a fit :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

its a pity the damn buses dont arive at the same time as the ferry ,although (only once) we "caught" the ferrymans eye and he came over early.its great to see the schoolkids take the ferry in their stride even the little ones ,nowadays its probably one of the few places where parents dont use 4x4's to drop them off :rolleyes:

only on the last day did we realise you can take motor bikes on there ,would have saved a copper or two on the bus fare to pompey and back from the ferry "terminal" although about a hundred yard trip isnt really a trip at all :D

its unfortunately been a few years since we had a boat trip ,the chap from the cafe used to collect the parking fee and there used to be a strange VW camper there with "portholes" probably long rusted away ,i like that side of hayling we stayed in the camper at fishermans creek on the other side a strange choice of name for a creek with absolutely no fish :rolleyes:

hmm the quote dooda seems to have had a fit :(

:clap2: The cafe at Hayling is up and running again after the fire, the pub car park is sorted after initial problems with the new landlord trying to keep anglers vehicles out. New chap collects the money(£2). The buses are supposed to coincide with the ferry timetable, probably cut buses so they no longer do, or every other one does. All in all pretty much the same as it has been for years. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

and the camper? ,was always unsure of having breakfast at the shed at least the bogs opened early enough to hurl in privacy.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

When the tanks do come rolling down dinner hill, do you think anybody would stand in front of them? This toilet job to me sounds like a job for portaloo? Or do what we do on the otherwise of the harbor, have a toilet on your boat and make sure your down on the boat an hour before you are scheduled to sail.

Still I must say that people like myself (who have a week bladder) don’t half miss the church street toilets being closed.

John not every boat is equipted to have a toilet on board but those words came out if bernard goldings mouth who is in charge of toilets,he said a charterboat is like restaurant and should privide a toilet, so out of your party of 12 who may have just travelled 3 hours in a car 4 want a pee and 1 wants a dump i think a public toilet block is the anser or do you pee yourself or surely not the other so what do you pay your rates for harbour dues, passenger landing dues etc what do you get for that money very little with this council.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

How to win an argument by slackline?

In the past an argument would be won by logical and accurate facts being put forward, lengthy discussion and debate, and willingness for compromise on all sides.

That’s a new one on me less? When ever have you abided to your brief but comical statement above?

I always thought that your philosophy on argument was that the long term versus the short term argument is one used by losers.

Next time you have a pop at me baldy i will let your bike tyres down :boxing:

Come the revolution it may be you who is against the wall with a blindfold :lol::lol: