Fishing in Merseyside

SerenBlue

Hi all,

Just moved into Merseyside from Lancs. I am looking for places to go fishing, either running (preffered) or still water. Hopefully, it would be out of the way from the public. Definitely not farmed waters.

Can someone suggest some places for me pls? Also a few names of clubs to contact/join for access to "owned rights".

I need to get out and wet a line before I completely lose my mind :wallbash: - I am in the lower Croxteth/West Derby area. Fishing type is probably spinning/light coarse (no nets or van full of tackle larks, just rod/reel/line/hook/weight/bait).

Ta

You're right near me then, an Anglers wasteland I'm afraid.

You're going to need to travel a bit, the nearest Rivers worth fishing are probably the Dane and the Weaver. I've heard the Mersey is picking up around Warrington but can't speak from experience. Personally I head up to the Ribble. Closer to home there's the Alt which runs through Croxteth but to be honest won't hold many fish that far upstream, you're best heading for the Maghull area for that river.

Stillwaters are also at a bit of a premium, the Park Lakes can offer decent fishing but tend to be busy and full of noddies. Again the best fishing is out of the area, generally around St Helens and Warrington.

Just to add to what rob has said the two biggest local clubs are Warrington anglers and Lymm anglers. I am currently a member of Lymm which in my opinion have the better fishing around cheshire but Warrington have more stretches of river further afield. here is a link to the Lymm website http://www.lymmanglers.net/ and one to waringtons http://www.warrington-anglers.org.uk/. There is also Weston anglers who have a couple of lakes in the runcorn area. All the local lakes(the park lakes, halsnead park,mellors,carr lane) tend to be full of idiots. The only decent rivers are the Dane and the Ribble which are over 45min drive from where you are.

Regards Paul Mc

For free fishing, Newsham park (carp,bream, tench, perch, pike); the same can be said for Sefton Park, Calderstones Park, Greenbank Park and Walton Hall Park.

For river or canal fishing, it's definitely a case of joining one of the local clubs. For the best advice on that front, pay a visit to Taskers Sports Shop in Utting Avenue, Walton and ask for Cliff.

I live in Tuebrook and if you want a meet for a fish, just send a PM.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

St helens AA have a few nice waters. Car Mill dam was a favorite of mine. leg-o-mutton is a lovely water. There is quite a lot of water around St helens, though they are controlled may many different clubs.

Paul Singleton

Guys,

Profuse apologies for not replying to this sooner. The email warning thingy to report new replies has not been set it seems.....nuts to that then.

Thanks a lot for all your messages, I am looking at all the waters and clubs mentioed - especially a VERY juicy looking piece of the canal north of me, running under the M57 motorway.

Alan, you are very generous, hope fully will mither you sometime! :thumbs:

Warmest Regards

Thanks a lot for all your messages, I am looking at all the waters and clubs mentioed - especially a VERY juicy looking piece of the canal north of me, running under the M57 motorway.

How could I forget - that's the Leeds to Liverpool canal, it's controlled by Liverpool and District AA and is members only nowadays. It's a decent mixed fishery, matches can be a pain on there though!