Pike Fishing - In London?

Steve Redrobe

Hello there. This is my first post.

I live in north London and am restricted to public transport.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any venues I might try for pike?

I am familiar with the North Met pit in Cheshunt and Dobb's Weir, a little further north, but those are quite a trek for me.

I was considering, for example, trying the River Lea, around Tottenham (Ferry Lane).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there. This is my first post.

I live in north London and am restricted to public transport.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any venues I might try for pike?

I am familiar with the North Met pit in Cheshunt and Dobb's Weir, a little further north, but those are quite a trek for me.

I was considering, for example, trying the River Lea, around Tottenham (Ferry Lane).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Steve,

I am in North London too.

There are pike in Hamstead Heath, in the Vale of Heath pond and in the fishable area of the men's swimming pond.

The Regents Canal has them too, but too many plastic bags and other rubbish in there as well, plus junkies and drunks on the towpath.

Apart from that I am not sure.

I am going to so some fishing for pike in Hamstead Heath at some point, although it is a hassle as you need a permit, which is free, but needs to be collected from an office that is randomly staffed! The Mens swimming pond has a good area for fishing round the edge, and bivvy man is unlikely to be there like he would at the Vale of Heath pond.

I hope this helps.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

The Environment Agency publish fishing details of the whole of the Thames valley including the tributaries and stillwaters. The info is on their website in pdf form but sometimes its bit of a pain to download.

If you have a problem downloading the freebie stuff then the EA also publish a £4 Guide too.

Their fishing page web address with the pdf pages is here

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Dear Simon,

this is immensely helpful.

I have fished the Vale Of Health pond at Hampstead Heath for over twenty-five years and have had some fine sport there. Some years ago, I had eleven pike, up to 12lb, before 9am one Sunday morning, much to the chagrin of a bivouaced commando who was encamped on that 'bay', near where the circus people stay.

I have also had the odd jack from that little pond with all the lillies, known locally as 'red arches', a few hundred yards further down from the Vale.

However, I was completely unaware that there were any pike in the men's swimming pond (if you drop anything, don't bend down to pick it up!). Have you had pike from there yourself?. I am certainly keen to try it now.

Many thanks!

Hi Steve,

I’m not a pike angler myself but I know people who have done quite well on the River Lee. If you can get on the train (Hertford to Liverpool street line) you will find that most of the stations are a stones throw from the canal, Hertford, Ware, St margarets, Rye house and Broxbourne I’m more familiar with but south of these less so, but I’m sure there is a few on AN who live in your neck of the woods that can help you out a bit more.

Andy

PS Welcome to AN by the way.

Edited by Jigotai

Welcome to AN Steve and good luck in finding some good piking.

If you ever want to get out of "town" but have no transport you could consider a couple of the Kent venues that have train stations right next to them,certainly well within walking range! Might have to invest in a bivvy so you can stay over to make the train journey worthwhile though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Many thanks, BUDGIE.

Perhaps you could give me the name of a good piking venue please?

If I were to come down to Kent, I'd be looking for somewhere reasonably picturesque, as I'd like my wife to join me (she has some holiday time coming up).

I should point out that I'm presently unable to walk very far, so a train station near the venue sounds good.

As regards accomodation, I think I'd rather look out for a nearby hotel than sample the delights of the bivouac.