BEELEIGH

sam-cox

post-6022-1152736275_thumb.jpgpost-6022-1152736063_thumb.jpgYesterday I was installing an alarm in Maldon, so at three o-clock I decided to make my way to Beeleigh armed with my camera, a loaf of bread and my mullet tackle.

The tide was at about two hours ebb and at a glance it became very quickly aparent that there was thousands of mullet. As far as I could see there was two species, thick and thin lipped. Also there was lots of course fish. This is very strange to watch as there are no lock gates inbetween the main estuary and Beeleigh, its verry tideal.

I didnt catch any mullet but spotted some large breem, roach, dace, and some fairly large mirror carp.

I did catch a pound and a half chub on a bit of bread flake intended for mullet. It still seems strange to watch let alone catch course fish in such a marine enviroment.

The main thing I love about the area of Beeliegh is the diverse wildlife to be found hear.

Today I saw a king fisher, mant egrits and lots more. The picture is of one carp and three breem all in the salt water section.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I remember seeing the look of surprise on a course angler in the Exeter Canal when he landed a flounder! its surprising how they cross over especially as the tide is going out.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I remember seeing the look of surprise on a course angler in the Exeter Canal when he landed a flounder! its surprising how they cross over especially as the tide is going out.

Dan

i can remember catching a green shore crab in the canal at topsham dan :blink:

Sam, there have been carp in the tidal water at Beeleigh for at least 20 years - in fact, I heard reports (unconfirmed) more than 30 years ago.

I've caught roach at Strood on the tidal Medway (while mullet fishing) where, to all intents and purposes, it is salt water (bladderwrack, crabs, cod in winter - the full "nine yards") - admittedly it was on an ebb tide after heavy rain so there was doubtless some freshwater influence, but even so....

Brackish tidal waters are often a sort of "no mans land" - ignored by saltwater and freshwater anglers alike. Access can be difficult, though, with marshland and/or mud. Tremendous potential for anyone prepared to invest time from a boat, though.

my Dads mate Mick Chalk used to catch bream and carp there 40 years ago, it was verry strange to catch a chub though. What about the sea trout possabilities?

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest muttley
my Dads mate Mick Chalk used to catch bream and carp there 40 years ago, it was verry strange to catch a chub though. What about the sea trout possabilities?

Thats the mystery of fishing m8......we never really know...I'm quite sure that above all its the uncertainty that keeps us all going week in week out!!!!!!!

Roll on Saturday

Can i have more information on this please, i got so excited reading these post's i think a bit of wee slipped out :yucky:

I cant belive after fishing in essex for 16 years iv never heard of it.

Iv come over all obsessive compulsive, 24 hours and 51 minutes untill my 7 night shift ends :yeah::rolleyes:

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Hi All,

It could be seen as natures way of cleansing it’s self, salt is a good remedy for removing parasites from fresh water fish I use it as a cure for on my cold water fish, in severe cases 8ozs to one gallon of water as a two minute dip.

The salt also creates mucus on the fish that they need to remain healthy so I see no reason why the natural world should not be ahead of us on this one. :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Can i have more information on this please, i got so excited reading these post's i think a bit of wee slipped out :yucky:

I cant belive after fishing in essex for 16 years iv never heard of it.

Iv come over all obsessive compulsive, 24 hours and 51 minutes untill my 7 night shift ends :yeah::rolleyes:

Can't believe you don't know Beeliegh if you've fished Essex for 16 years,after all there's only three rivers in Essex that are more than a running tap. Location:- approx 1 mile West of Maldon, it's where the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation (River Chelmer) and River Blackwater meet, there's a wier for run-off and the canal loops around Heybridge and finishes at the Sea Lock. The Blackwater estuary's (renamed River Chelmer once through Maldon) tidal limit is the weir. There's been freshwater fish of various specie on the seaward side of the weir for as long as I can remember, and I'm long past 21!!. It's renown for Mullet for which Sam was having a crack and throws up the odd Sea Trout. As Jim mentioned, these area's are a "no mans land" and can surprise most. A friend of mine, a few years ago, caught a 5lb + Pike while spinning for Schoolies with a fly spoon there. It look none the worst for it's sea water dip!!.