Pole v rod and reel

jevs

Never used a pole and to be honest, i've never felt the desire to preferring to cast my float from rod and reel.

This has suited me fine for 34 years but i keep seeing these nutters ( :bleh: ) with 30' long poles down my local duck pond.

So what am i missing.......please put your point for the prosecution and the defence

Discuss

Andy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last 4/5 years I have bought two poles and still to this day I cannot master the art of pole fishing. To me fishing is firstly about enjoyment and to me pole fishing is a chore. Ship out, ship in, different top section for depth, different top for power of match. I have to readily agree for bait presentation the pole wins hand down, so for matchmen then I guess it is the way forward, but I still never feel in control of the fish when I have it hooked. I was in a match yesterday I sat there with my centrepin and float rod and had, 5lb 4oz and the winner won it with over 15lb but in saying this I lost one big fish and also got snapped by a even bigger one. I can see the advantages but to me enjoyment first.............. or why bother?????

Edited by Bankside

Never used a pole and to be honest, i've never felt the desire to preferring to cast my float from rod and reel.

This has suited me fine for 34 years but i keep seeing these nutters ( :bleh: ) with 30' long poles down my local duck pond.

So what am i missing.......please put your point for the prosecution and the defence

Discuss

Andy

pole will beat a rod on the right venue, as will the rod will beat the pole on the right venue,

try casting a float under that bush on the far bank of the canal 15 metres away where all the fish live.

bet you put it in the bush :yeah: ..

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I don't care what anyone says, the pole is just another tool in the anglers arsenal.

I will fish the pole where the conditions are right, but will not hesitate to use a float rod if the fish are biting beyond the reach of the pole, or a ledger rod if the water conditions call for it.

A pole is a tool to place your hookbait in EXACTLY the same place, with as little disturbance as possible. The pole will let you place your hookbait closer to, for instance, lily pads, than any rod will!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Personaly I have always thought that poles are too efficient. Like using a machine gun as opposed to a rifle to hunt with. There is something unsporting about it that I just do not like. But that is just my own opinion and I would in no way criticise the scaffolding fraternity among anglers if that is the tool that they choose to catch fish with.

A Hammond

Have to agree with kleinboet on this one what ever helps you catch fish works for me. as it happens i go fishing occasionaly with one of the wifes uncles and hes been so impressed by using the pole {my old one} hes asked me to look out for one for him, hes only been fishing a year and hes 65 but he does listen to what you have to say.

While on the subject to the pole anglers out there who bins there rigs once theyve used them once? Am i strange in doing it? One session and its float back in the box and line and shot in the bin.

" hes 65 but he does listen to what you have to say." :) :)

While on the subject to the pole anglers out there who bins there rigs once theyve used them once? Am i strange in doing it? One session and its float back in the box and line and shot in the bin.

Horses for courses Mark, Right time, right place, right angler, Pole is deadly.

I spent quite a lot of one season trying to get a 30lber on a pole :)....got them to just under 20lb....FANTASTIC battles.

Always bin the rigs...(keep the shot and float)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Ferret1959

Peter, you took the words right out my mouth.

I have tried various poles but hate the things.

Far to much messing about and you are taken for a ride with the cost of them.

I only feel happy trotting a float down a river so a pole ain't the tool for me.

I'm meant to be fishing a match in August but know I got no chance due to the rest of the anglers fishing the pole.

Poles are best used for putting flags on by caravanners at weekend rallies. :D

98jy-05-rally-flags.jpg

Edited by Ferret1959