Pollack Mid Water & no mackrel

peterseafishing

On Saturday 15 July we were pirking with shads mainly in shallow water less then 20 m. The fishing was difficult with wind and tide together. On the sounder we kept marking fish at about 10 meters so set two very light spinning rods with small 2 inch shads. We just let them fish themselves whilst we pirked only to have them bend hard over ending up with a pollack of about 3 to 4 lb giving very good sport on light gear. I then stopped pirking and set two rods up to fish on the fast drift. Continued to catch the pollack and on cod by that method untill wind turned against tide. Funny how trying something different workd so well. The old cobble about 100 yds out from us continued to pirk with the standard 1 to 2 lb pirks and 30/50 lb class rods. Looked hard work and did not see them catch a single fish.

So far this year I have only had one mackerel is it just me or are they missing from Whitby this year.

prp

Hi Peter,

The mackerel are bloody scarce at the moment especially on the piers. However Saltburn and the south gare are the opposite with huge shoals there. Last weeks Saltburn open yeilded 20 pound of Mackerel for Paul Lobley. In recent years Ive noticed we dont get a real good run at Whitby untill the end of august.

Im interested in what you say about pollock. I was talking to Topecatcher when he was up here doing some survey work recently. He was saying that the ground here looks perfect for mid water pollock fishing which is what you seem to be confirming. He suggested a float fished sandeal would be a good method to sort out the bigger ones. Im hoping Malcolm Pitman on seaspray will have a run out one night to have a try at this method. The rock edges to the north look perfect for the bigger Pollock I think. Are you practicing catch and release with the Pollock ?

Edited by glennk

I have had some good evenings on the pollack in past years. In Scotland on the Mull of Galloway I use both troll and slow retrive. I have tried trolling at Whitby but the fish do not seem to want to rise to the lures. I have had some sucsess with float fishing with sandell and belly strip from mackrel but the depths on the rough ground vary to much and I lost lots of gear.

I learnt to fish from a Ian Burnett with the slow retrive and not to strike at the plucks at the bait or lure. With this method I use a small weight on a long boom running ledger with a seven or eight foot trace. Just lower it to the bottom in the tide and slow retrive to the surface. Now comes the hard bit for fast striking Yorkshire men DO NOT STRIKE AT THE FIRST PLUCKS AT THE BAIT OF LURE. wait until a firm pull is felt then tighten up.

I kept four of the pollack for the pot but the flesh on the belly and part way up the flank was very wormy. Why do we get so many worms in cod pollack coalfish and whiting? . In future I will return all the pollack as I do not like wormy fish. I have had pollack to eight pounds a couple of years ago and they seem to be on the increase again.

prp

Glenn,

Was out yesterday afternoon at whitby. probably fishing alongside peter. If I had a number for you you could have joined us for the last few hours as it was very calm in the bay.

We did spend an hour trolling two rapalas all the way up the beach. Just outside those yellow markers in about 10' of water ...guess what ..no bass :rolleyes: Struggled for cod on baits and shads... but didnt try the mid water ploy. One for next time.

If you have any ideas for potential bass areas I am all ears. Hope to get an evening trip out this week.

dave

Struggled all day for mackrel. Only had one which was huge. Got lots of dabs off the beach on squid and a nice beer in the ship at low water waiting for the tide to run against the wind.

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi Dave Glen

I have tried trolling and casting repalas also with not takes from bass did get some mackrel though last year. I want to catch some frech sandeel and try livebaiting for them. I have concidered joey mackrel but understand that the limit for them at Whitby is larger than the rest of uk. I will have a big push for bass later this year and may just target them. I keep saying I will also have a try for tope on day.

Peter

prp