Catfish Session

Rob Ward

I'm off work this week and planning a 48 hour session after Catfish at a local day ticket water.

There's a two rod limit and the Cats there respond to fishmeal boilies so I was going to fish one rod carp style (there's also some nice Carp to be had) and the other specfically for Cats with a deadbait.

The plan for the deadbait rod is to fish over a bed of scalded pellet and chopped fish, Coarse deads are not allowed so I was wondering what to go for bait wise. I was thinking something oily like Mackeral but I've also heard that Salmon offcuts are a great bait, then there's Squid. Can anyone comment?

I've got spools of 15lb Mono and 50lb Power pro for my reels so I'm wondering which to use, the lakes are shallow, silty and the worst snags are beds of Pads - the Cats run to 40lb plus?

WRT Deadbaits, would I be better hair rigging these or straight on the hook?

I'm very much a Catfish novice so any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edited by Rob Ward

Hi Rob , i think Budgie will be the best to answer your queries on here as i believe he has extensive 'Cat' knowledge . I've never fished for 'em but may do once i find a nearby cat water.

Good luck with your quest

Paul