Wier pools!

markp

Got up at 2.00 this morning to go down to my localish wier pool to try and catch a barbel or chub by 7.30 id had enough not one bite { apart from a very angry foul hooked pike } tried all the usual baits such as pellets,boilies and meat i know this spell of warm weather has been affecting the fishing but was i doing anything wrong?

Was fishing 2 rods 1 with a bolt rig the other a bog standard running ledger rig {changing to a cage feeder with pellets} any ideas chaps.

And just to help heres a piccy of the pool.

post-9212-1153121716_thumb.jpg

post-9212-1153122945_thumb.jpg

Edited by markp

Hi Mark,

Looks suspiciously like where I was Saturday morning at 4:30-10 am! Beeston weir. I was saved a blank by a 5ins gudgeon which took a lump of Spam hair rigged on a size 10 hook! I guess there must have been a few of them sniffing round the bait when I struck & got 'lucky'.

Besides the lad fishing on the opposite bank who caught what looked like a pretty decent barbel and a chub or two, no-one else seemed to be catching much.

With the river so low I was expecting a decent morning in the weir pool. Only took meat / peparami with me though.

I will return soon...hemp/caster feeder next time perhaps..

It probably looks suspiciously like where you went because it is lol, same here all i took was big baits with me even tried under the wier for an hr with 1/2 a tin of meat on my hook to no avail! You ever fished the bend just down stream of the wier? I keep looking at it thinking one day!

Fished most of the swims down towards the bend, but never past it, there's supposed to be some big carp on the bend itself if that's your thing. About 100 yards below the weir, through the undergrowth there's a couple of swims (Beeston side) that I've had cracking days fishing on in the past...I've struggled down there though in recent years sadly.

I know you didnt catch but I am still envious of you having a water like that to fish. I love big rivers but down in Kent they dont exist. The swim in the picture is about the same size as half of the lakes that I get to fish these days.

Yeah but youve got the little river i like fishing trouble is round here its the Derwent or Dove call me lazy but i just dont seem to have the time to wander and fish spot on them. And simon i assume your live in Nottingham?

Nottingham born & bred but now I live in SW London. Fish the Thames when I can around Sunbury but nothing can beat the roar of Beeston weir (mind you it was more of a trickle on Saturday) so I try to get back when I can. Always intend to try other parts of the Trent, but Beeston Weir's a 10 minute drive from my folks..

I used to fish the stretch around Wilford on the Clifton Grove side of the main road, think it was Raleigh Angling Club back in the day when bikes were still made in Nottingham. Great stretch it was.

They still are made in Nottingham Simon just down the rd from me on the A610 not that has any thing to do with fishing mind. I assume you only come up at weekends to visit the folks then?

Glad to here bikes are still made there! - assumed when the factory at Raleigh island turned into halls for the Uni, that was it..Try to get up at least once a month to fish on Sat mornings then off to Meadow Lane in the afternoons from August onwards.

First started fishing on Wollaton Park Lake - used to be an amazing lake, full of Tench & Bream (no carp that I remember). Had a big spread in the Angling Times around '83-'84...then the old enclosure was shut, the lake was drained, a huge concrete bank was put in & that was it. Dead..very sad.

Thought i was the only one daft enough to support the "SUPER PIES" on here!