What weight is your trout rod?

Sportsman

Good topic, I also see that many people are fishing the extremes more, both lighter for trout and targetting the ocean gamefish with broomsticks. Personally I use,

Orvis 6'6 1 wt - mountain streams

Hardy 7' 3/4 - streams

Custom 9' 5 - most trout

Hardy Smuggler 8'2 6/7 - travel

Hardy 9' 6/7 - large lakes dry fly

Bob Church 9'6 5/7 - large lakes nymph

Custom 9' 9 - light salt / estuary

Custom 9' 10 - medium salt

Custom 9' 12 - heavy salt

Custom 8' 15 - tuna.

and I am currently building a 17/18 on a Shimano Exage blank for the bigger yellowfin! Tony U - yes you can cast it although not very often, and the boat cannot be under power when you do under IGFA rules.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

4 wt Orvis for small stillwaters

6 wt Loomis GLX for general river work

8 wt Harrison built for bones but not much used.

10 wt Harrison experimental pike rod. Double butt rings and lightweight single leg titanium stand-off guides

10 wt Redington Nano titanium pike rod

12 wt Penn Gold Medal for the odd tarpon trip and lead core work.

All bar the Penn are multi joint travel rods

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• 2 weeks later...

5 wt PPT for trout

8 wt custom for Saltwater

obviously need more rods, want to go lighter for the trout might pinch my sons 2 wt as he has broken his arm. And a 6 wt for Saltwater from my kayak. Also thinking about a 9wt for Pike fishing as I keep being told I shouldn't use the 8wt.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Guest Complete Fisher

7 weight for me for most of my stillwater fishing but would go down to a 5 or 6 weight with a floating line.

5 weights don't tend to punch out a DI7 in to the wind like a 7 weight does ;)

5 wt PPT for trout

8 wt custom for Saltwater

obviously need more rods, want to go lighter for the trout might pinch my sons 2 wt as he has broken his arm. And a 6 wt for Saltwater from my kayak. Also thinking about a 9wt for Pike fishing as I keep being told I shouldn't use the 8wt.

SM :)

Don't see what is wrong with the 8 for Pike. The only advantage of the 9 is that the heavier line will turn over a larger fly.

How did the sons 2 wt turn out SM ? I have a 9wt rod that I use for Pike built on the green Amtak blank and have to say for a cheapy it's a hell of a blank. Better than some I have seen for a lot more money :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• 3 weeks later...

For general lake fishing etc I was told to use a 7wt rod. I have however changed to a 9'-6" 5wt Sage rod. Its gives you a chance to feel and play the fish rather that just wind it in. I say 'the lighter the better' as long as you can control the fish. Obviously you must also take into consideration the potential size if your prey, its not much use using a 4wt rod if you could possibly catch a 10lb trout.

I have a 4# for stream fishing, a 7# for most of my sea trout and hauling a fly across the wider stretches of the tyne and a 9# for general salmon sea trout fishing coutesy of Mr Roe (for which I owe him yet again).

There was a period in the states when people were fishin 0# and 1# rods regularly but I've never felt that i needed any lighter than the 4#, particularly as i'm quite likely to hit a 16" - 20" brown trout when fishing these tiny streams.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY