Now I've seen it with my own eyes

Ken L

For God's sake what is this pointless argument about? The guy was almost certainly not using the bag as a "keepnet" he was using it to keep the fish, which he undoubtedly intended to take home for the pot, from going off in the sun. Anyone who thinks illegal immigrants (more racist assumptions?) don't kill our coarse fish for the pot is living in cloud cuckoo land. They've been putting night lines out on a water near me for ages. The EA don't really care because there are no game fish in the water.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For God's sake what is this pointless argument about? The guy was almost certainly not using the bag as a "keepnet" he was using it to keep the fish, which he undoubtedly intended to take home for the pot, from going off in the sun. Anyone who thinks illegal immigrants (more racist assumptions?) don't kill our coarse fish for the pot is living in cloud cuckoo land. They've been putting night lines out on a water near me for ages. The EA don't really care because there are no game fish in the water.

An immigrant, therefore must be illegal

I kill the occasional coarse fish for the pot, does that make me an illegal immigrant?

Do the EA only care for game fish?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Been listening to Keith Arthur at the weekends on talksport banging on about this every week. Tons of people phoning in with complaints. I personally can't see the problem with taking fish home for the pot providing the people are licence holders, the quantity and size limits are observed and the fish are killed immediately they're caught and humanely dispatched.

There are legal quantities and sizes of fish that you may remove from a water if you're a license holder.....i'm sure the EA have details.

The main people that are doing this are Eastern Europeans. They will happily eat roch, bream, perch and carp. Bleak are also eaten whole like whitebait.

Just my humble opinion

Andy

An immigrant, therefore must be illegal

I kill the occasional coarse fish for the pot, does that make me an illegal immigrant?

Do the EA only care for game fish?

What fish have you eaten m8...do they taste ok ? I had the chance to eat pike once but i couldn't bring myself to knock it on the head (about 10lb in size)

But it's each to their own and i'd probably taste all the fish if i had the chance

Been listening to Keith Arthur at the weekends on talksport banging on about this every week. Tons of people phoning in with complaints. I personally can't see the problem with taking fish home for the pot providing the people are licence holders, the quantity and size limits are observed and the fish are killed immediately they're caught and humanely dispatched.

There are legal quantities and sizes of fish that you may remove from a water if you're a license holder.....i'm sure the EA have details.

The main people that are doing this are Eastern Europeans. They will happily eat roch, bream, perch and carp. Bleak are also eaten whole like whitebait.

Just my humble opinion

Andy

What fish have you eaten m8...do they taste ok ? I had the chance to eat pike once but i couldn't bring myself to knock it on the head (about 10lb in size)

But it's each to their own and i'd probably taste all the fish if i had the chance

If I take one now (and it's rare :) ) it would be a Perch around a pound.

I used to eat the occasional Pike and have been known, many years ago, to eat roach. I once even had a plate of Gudgeon, fried like whitebait, and very nice they were (this was over 45 years ago you understand)

Now I kill almost nothing, I return all salmon and wild trout and probably 95% of stocked trout I catch.

The Perch i take are from Lochs which are stuffed with them, and very seldom fished for them.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I was told Pike have a very earthy taste and so do not make good eating :unsure: ,don't know myself as i wouldn't consider it but seen as the info came from my grandparents who did eat them then i'll take there word for it! :D

As for the fish being for the pot, I would have to say that this is very likely and you can go on any forum to find this going on everywhere :angry: If anyone see's this happening then they should contact the EA a.s.a.p

Good on ya Ken!!! :D

You must have the permission of the owner or whoever controls the water to take fish from it!!!

Edited by carpstar
With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

I was told Pike have a very earthy taste and so do not make good eating :unsure:

According to Isaac Walton, pike was "a dish of meat too good for any but anglers or very honest men", but then he'd never experienced MacDonalds or KFC...

According to Isaac Walton, pike was "a dish of meat too good for any but anglers or very honest men", but then he'd never experienced MacDonalds or KFC...

Clean water pike is excellent, at least as good as trout. Pike from a muddy canal might be a different matter.

is there a size limit on what you can take home? ive never taken one home and probably never will but would liek to know what the limit is?

Varies from region to region and the owner of a fishery can impose whatever 'fish supper' rules that he decides. The EA issue these guidelines for minimum takeable fish size

Size Limits Fish which are below the following size limits must not be killed or taken away. The size is measured from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.

Dace, perch, roach, rudd 18cms

Bream, chub, grayling, tench, trout 23cms

Carp 25cms

Barbel 30cms

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

is there a size limit on what you can take home? ive never taken one home and probably never will but would liek to know what the limit is?

Yes there is. I'm trying to find a link for quantities and sizes. I'm sure you're only allowed to take 2 fish a day of which only one can be a bream, roach, carp, perch etc and they must be over a certain size.

You must have the permission of the owner or whoever controls the water to take fish from it!!!

Apparently you don't as long as the above is adhered to and you hold a licence. However, i'm not sure if that applies to privately owned fisheries or just rivers (which are owned/run by the EA)

The EA website is tediously slow at the moment.