Claws! Crabs, Crayfish and other crustaceans

Unimexsol

Last season it was crabs, this season it seems to be crayfish!

Last season it was almost impossible to deadbait where I fish as the place was crawling with crabs, I was told that they were Chinese Mitten Crabs but I wouldn't be able to confirm this as I only know how to tell a hermit crab from any other sort!

This season there are suddenly hundreds of crayfish. I seem to remember my dad telling me that crayfish were a good sign in a river or lake as they would only live in clean water but this would have been many years ago so I could be wrong. I've heard that there's been an influx of american red signal crayfish, but these crayfish don't look red to me. Are they the uk's indigenous species? Why are they suddenly all over the canal?

So which crustacean should I expect next year? And are any of them any good as bait/or to eat?

What canal is it Unimexsol?

If the crays have small claws they may be native white tailed but if they have large claws they are probably signals, although there are other species in the wild now, having, like the signals, either escaped or been seeded into various waters.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

White Claw

white_claw.jpg

Signal

signal.jpg

A site with photos of a wide variety of crays in case yours wasn't either of those

Click Here

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If it's the lea valley then it's almost certainly going to be signals

Mat

Ok, I'm confused now :blink: it is the Lea Valley but they look far more like the picture of the whiteclaw than the signal. Colouring is not red for a start. I'll try and get a picture of one.

If it is the Lea, almost certainly signals.

The reason for the explosion might be the problems the consortium have had in continuing to trap them on the river. I know they were being trapped and sold by the consortium but that came to and end and I have not seen Adam recently. I'll send him a mail and see what the score is.

Where abouts on the lea are you fishing?

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.