Royal Navey threaten to fire on a local trawler.

Guest jay_con

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covered in this week's Fishing News.

"Apart from what happened to Skipper Leadley, fishing ports are overrun with fishery officers, often there are more of them than policemen in a port. Hit squads descend on ports and the level of enforcement has never been as oppressive as iT is now"

"A DEFRA spokesperon said: "It is important that all involved work together to meet the long-term viability and sustainability of sea fisheries and the fishing industry and that there is high compliance with fisheries regulations"

FN ask " Is this the country and fishing industry that so many fishermen fought and died to defend 60 years ago?"

Tight Lines - leon

[ 01. July 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest stevie cop

So it was only fishermen who fought then? And they only fought for the fishing industry did they?

Linking the "Country" and fishing industry together, and reference to ALL the brave young men who died fighting two world wars for ALL of us, is such a cheap shot that the editor should be ashamed of himself.

er,

They also say:

"This event has occurred during the year Britain is celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. Nelson must be turning in his grave to see the depths to which the proud British navy has been reduced, harassing and intimidating British Citizens"

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

How does Leon's quoting Fishing News (a commercial fishing publication I'd guess) make him the one 'playing politics' Jaffa?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I guess that we are not going to get a lot of hard information on what this is all about as the matter appears to be sub judice.

Just this snippet (which might or might not be relevant) from 'Fishing News'

"Skipper Leadley had still not received an explanation from DEFRA by Tuesday of this weekas to why officials had acted as they had after first finding everything in order with the trawler's fishing gear, apart from the fact that the mesh in three codends was too big, while that of the other four was too small"

(The vessels fishing licence and seven cod ends were confiscated)

TL - leon

[ 01. July 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

With regards to Leon's quotes on the new emphasis on enforcement taken from fishing news - Good on Defra I say. Doing the job they should have done a few years ago.

Is what happened 60 years ago relavent to this??? was cod fishing f***** back then??? were our fishermen breaking the law at every oppotunity? were a species

on the brink of collapse in brittish waters? No it was an entirely different situation with nothing at all to do with the current one, If my memory serves me correct it was about ridding the world of an evil leader and sod all to do with fishing, and where does bloody Nelson come into the equation ???????? was he a flippin trawlerman too? Perhaps he would have fired back with one of his cannons and sunk hms mersey. Another case of the propoganda machine being cranked up I think. I can see where the game of politics lies here and it aint with the person quoting the story.

[ 02. July 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

Leon Roskilly:

Covered in this week's Fishing News.

"Apart from what happened to Skipper Leadley, fishing ports are overrun with fishery officers, often there are more of them than policemen in a port. Hit squads descend on ports and the level of enforcement has never been as oppressive as iT is now"

This is very good news in my book. If they are fishing legally they have nothing to worry about do they.

I think the commercials forget that sometimes that they don't actually own the seas.

That reference to WWII is shameful and highly xenpohobic - a slur on our heroes.

a letter will be winging its way, if anyone feels the same - pointing out that we fought for law equality and democracy NOT the favouring of a select few :mad:

Mark

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "