Royal Navey threaten to fire on a local trawler.

Guest jay_con

Just to add my twopennorth. I can tell you as a previous member of a fish patrol the boarding party are NOT armed UNLESS the craft being boarded was showing signs of "Extreme hostility" and apart from chucking a couple of haddock or cod I doubt very much if that was the case!!

However, as to the case of shots being fired across the bows of a vessel which REFUSED a REQUEST to stop in order that it be searched that is as far as I am aware true. Warning shots WOULD be fired in order to ensure the vessel did indeed stop and the skipper WOULD be told this if he refused the order to stop. That is why fish boats carry a weapon, the BMARC 20mm cannon I believe?? Quite an awesome bit of kit which I looked after on HMS Newcastle!! Not a HUGE bore by any means, but the rounds you could get through in a minute is quite astounding!!

However I digress, Armed boarding parties are NOT a modern thing! Gone are the cutlasses and grappling irons of the tall ships era!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi FBN,

I know it is a very touchy subject, and as soon as anyone makes the sort of statement I have the do good brigade cry foul.

There was no do good brigade as we know them today when women got the vote or when slavery was abolished.

Since the fifties we have had an enormous influx of foriegn nationals for various reason, a very large number of them refuse to slot into our society and think that we should change to accommodate them.

I have travelled and worked abroad for a great number of years and every where I went I made a conscious effort to slot into the local community.

I have no problem with the Irish infact just the opposite, but I do have a major problem with those that sit amongst us crying foul and at the same time plotting our down fall.

Yesterdays hellacious crimes are the pinnacle of those above.

ID cards will not stop this happening, but I do not consider them to be an infringment of our humane rights.

The story concerning the boarding of that trawler is a prime example of the media and crew making statements which had no truth.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest Flybynight

Ken - sorry not to be able to reply properly, but I'm running for a train. Anyway - not sure we really disagree (as usual!) - good to debate with you.

All the best

FBN

Ken Davison South Wales:

Hi FBN,

Since the fifties we have had an enormous influx of foriegn nationals for various reason, a very large number of them refuse to slot into our society and think that we should change to accommodate them.

Don't forget when the Romans,Vikings,Saxons,Angels and the Normans came we seemed to accommodate them :D

Well there were not to many of us then and by all accounts we were a bit crusty back then and in need of some educating. :D

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how they slotted in. :rolleyes:

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Ken Davison South Wales:

Well there were not to many of us then and by all accounts we were a bit crusty back then and in need of some educating. :D

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how they slotted in. :rolleyes:

We would have had to learn English as welsh/Irish would only have been spoken here and in Patigonia :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jay_con

The fishermen involved are still insistant they were threatened as described and have asked the local conservative MP to take this up with Ben Bradshawe.

Other Whitby fishermen are saying that they have witnessed armed navey officers in the past despite the fact the Navey say they are unarmed on fishery duties.

In the same paper article today some of the local fishermen are suggesting that DEFRA are harassing them.

I couldnt find the article on the papers website so will type out some extracts when I have more time.

--------------------------------------------------

Poor old fishermen feel harassed. such a shame.

"In the same paper article today some of the local fishermen are suggesting that DEFRA are harassing them."

I suppose that is what a driver would say when he is stopped for speeding. :rolleyes:

eat.gif

Petals Florist

well guys i think they should board more foreign boats especialy the norwegian gill netters..bet you lot didn"t know that 45 to 65% off the fish they get in there nets are nackerd by the time they get it aboard also if the lose nets it never stops fishing i got this info from a gut who lived in norway and worked on a gill netter