Thanks for the last advice! how about this lot for starters?

megocorp

Hi again, thanks for reading, thanks to all who posted to my last post about the littlewoods lot. Its back to the drawing board as far as that lot is concerned, im still considering option and even though i have ordered i can always return. this lot caught my eye and the price is very cheap. I'm not daft enough to think that this is going to last a liftime but you think i will get some enjoyment out of it, buy a few bits here a few bits there? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3254925.htm

again thanks for any advice.

Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

I wouldn't bother.

Contact Chris Goddard who's a regular on this site, he will sort you out for definate.

Fair play to Argos for informing people about the need for a rod licence.Well done.

The only time you wont get enjoyment out of tackle is if it is of such poor design or quality that it doesnt work properly!

If you do get the Argos set up one or two hints.Firstly the line on the reel usually wont be enough (you need to have it up to just under the lip of the spool) and secondly to heavy!

I would sugest you start of kitting your self out with a basic float fishing outfit.This would consist of a 12-13' Match /Float rod,a fixed spool reel,3lb reel line,size 18 hooks to nylon (around 1.7lb breaking strain) a couple of waggler floats and some shot.

Only other acsessories you will really need at this stage are a landing net and a disgorger.

I would sugest buying the best quality that you can afford for a couple of reasons though.Firstly it will save you havinfg to "up grade" your gear if you get in to it and secondly it is always easier to sell good quality gear if you decide its not for you.

By spending your available budget on the essentials and then adding the various seats,boxes,brollies etc etc at a later date you will be able to get good gear rather than buying the whole lot at once by getting cheap gear.

There has been no better time in the 40 years Ive been doing it to buy good equipment at a good price.The Argos gear would do but Im sure if you look around (or ask Chris as has been sugested) you could do a lot better for only a few bob more.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

definatley a no no.

my mate got the same starter kit.

the rod wasn't up to much.

neither is the reel

the rod's reel fitting was of the ring type, that wouldn't fit the reel correctly.

(on every cast the reel fell of the rod, he ended up putting a couple of turns of insulation tape on, to be sure it stayed in place)

the hooks are a complete waste of time.

(i ended up giving him some of mine)

The floats are cheap and nasty

(they don't have the weight needed printed on them,and are a bit thick and clumsy,shy bites/small fish won't be detected. My mate didn't know he had a fish on the hook until he reeled it in to recast))

the landing net is tiny, and is like something you would use for a garden pond.

(doesn't look legal to me, and has no water lily badge upon)

the line is not that good.

(might be ok for a sea fishing session or heavier coarse fishing. again i gave my mate about 6foot of my line to tie on the end)

the disgorger

(not bad,, 2nd best item in the kit)

rod rest

(bit of bent steel rod, 80p each from my local tackle shop)

weights

(bit big, could have put some smaller sizes in to, think BBs was the smallest in the pack)

bait box

(too small, but ok for a small tin of sweetcorn, handful of worms, 1/4 pint of maggots etc)

catapult

(bit naff, and won't last long)

plummet

(best item in the kit)

float rubbers

(not bad)

Chewy's overall rating

1/10

:D

Edited by CHEWY49
IPB Image

definatley a no no.

my mate got the same starter kit.

the rod wasn't up to much.

neither is the reel

the rod's reel fitting was of the ring type, that wouldn't fit the reel correctly.

(on every cast the reel fell of the rod, he ended up putting a couple of turns of insulation tape on, to be sure it stayed in place)

the hooks are a complete waste of time.

(i ended up giving him some of mine)

The floats are cheap and nasty

(they don't have the weight needed printed on them,and are a bit thick and clumsy,shy bites/small fish won't be detected. My mate didn't know he had a fish on the hook until he reeled it in to recast))

lol, thanks for the information, back to the first selection then me thinks.

Thanks all

the landing net is tiny, and is like something you would use for a garden pond.

(doesn't look legal to me, and has no water lily badge upon)

the line is not that good.

(might be ok for a sea fishing session or heavier coarse fishing. again i gave my mate about 6foot of my line to tie on the end)

the disgorger

(not bad,, 2nd best item in the kit)

rod rest

(bit of bent steel rod, 80p each from my local tackle shop)

weights

(bit big, could have put some smaller sizes in to, think BBs was the smallest in the pack)

bait box

(too small, but ok for a small tin of sweetcorn, handful of worms, 1/4 pint of maggots etc)

catapult

(bit naff, and won't last long)

plummet

(best item in the kit)

float rubbers

(not bad)

Chewy's overall rating

1/10

:D

Its always best to get the best quality you can. If you can't afford new ask at your tackle shop whether they have any second hand stuff. Most of the ones I use take in stuff part ex when someone upgrades their kit.

You'd be better off in a local tackle shop, that way the guy serving you should ( a good one will anyway) explain what he's selling you.

Fair enough you may pay an extra tenner all in all but the stuff you walk out with will last a while and out perform the catalogue rubbish.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Seems really expensive to me for what you are getting Megacorp. At my local Tesco's I bought a Kingfisher 3pc 12' rod for £10, and they were also doing adult starter packs with 10' rods for £16 and kids starter packs with a 6ft rod for £10. Packs included: Rod, Reel, Line, Floats, Hooks to nylon, disgorger, bait box, How to Fish book, weights, and some other stuff. They also sold landing nets (lightweight extendable carbon handle and net) for £10. Ok, the stuff won't be great, for example the rod that I bought doesn't have a top ring with a screw thread and therefore I can't use a swingtip or a quivertip (bite indicators for ledgering) but I would recommend it as a cheap entry method where the stuff will last you until you decide to upgrade.

As I put in another thread, my first rod was a Winfield 6' rod (Woolworths equivalent of the Tesco's kids rod) and I still have it and still use it. Cheap doesn't always mean nasty. Remember, a fish can't tell how much you've spent on your rod as long as the bait is presented correctly.

And the staff in Tesco of course helped you out with bait?? And where to fish?? How to setup?? Where to get a licence??

EXACTLY!!!

Good luck to Tesco, Lidl and the like!!! But ALL they sell is the stuff that manufacturers cannot get rid of to tackle shops!!!

IT'S CRUD!!!!

Believe me I see it all the time and it makes me want to weep!!! I can sell you CRUD but I won't!! And your local tackle shop won't either as they are looking to repeat business!! As am I!! As they say in certain parts "A fool and his money are SOON parted!!" :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))