Do I need a bigger hook?

Steve Chertsey

I have been using size 16 on the Thames, and catch little fish.

But, I am starting to think maybe I am hooking bigger fish that then pull off the hook and get away.

I seem to "snag" when I pull my feeder in which I presumed to mean weeds, but the line came in pretty clean most of the time.

Could it be bigger fish?

I would have though the line would pull away from me if it was.

And is 16 small for Thames fishing?

Steve,within reason the size of your hook should be determined by the size of your bait.Easy as that!

For general fishing at this time of year a size 18 with two maggots would be about right.A size 12 with a grain of sweet corn or a size 6 with a lobworm! See what I mean?

It follows that to try and target bigger fish that you will use a larger bait (to try and deter smaller fish) and therefore a bigger hook.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Steve,within reason the size of your hook should be determined by the size of your bait.Easy as that!

For general fishing at this time of year a size 18 with two maggots would be about right.A size 12 with a grain of sweet corn or a size 6 with a lobworm! See what I mean?

It follows that to try and target bigger fish that you will use a larger bait (to try and deter smaller fish) and therefore a bigger hook.

Thanks. So much of fishing is common sense "after" someone explains it to you :)

Cheers!

LOL - Steve, don't feel bad. I have lure fished most of my life and came late to the bait fishing thing except for some live baiting on occasion.

I kept losing fish and having no clue why. One day I was fishing with a Brit ex-pat and after I finished saying some *##%@^^&& things he took a look and explained that I was using way too small a hook for the bait.

Yup. It made perfect sense AFTER it was explained.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President