Steve Randles

Photo Challenge #17: Pattern and Texture. For all to vote on  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your top photo

• "My Texture?s" Finepix
    • "holyhock" Dog Fish
    • "Weathered boards" Jan of the 2 Ghillies

Guest Finepix
Gotta be one of the closest votes I have seen. Go Julia!!!!!!!!

:o:unsure:

It's quite overwhelming isn't it. All of the entries are fantastic! Still can't believe I'm in the top 3 ........ :blink:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest franticfisherman2
I originally penned this under another post, but I think it sums up what I do, and some other not so gifted members might feel.

Having never entered a photo' comp' before, and thinking I might give it a try on this one, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the quality of the entries I saw, that I thought "no way this time".

I will have a go in the future though, if I find the right topic and subject. Well done to you all :thumbs:

PS. I'm still a bit miffed with you lot for being so good :2::2::2:;)

You should have a go ASAP - you might get a surprise, I know I did! :) I know my photos are limited somewhat by my camera and I can live with that because I don't want to be distracted too much from my main love of fishing. What the comp has done tho is to make me think a bit more when looking and composing a shot. It may come out better using some manual settings which are available on "better" cameras, but again I can live with that knowledge. The eye for an unusual shot always has the best chance of winning a comp. rather than the technically perfect "ordinary" photo. Try to think what the judge may have had in mind when he/she set the challenge and you're halfway to a winner! Good luck :)

I originally penned this under another post, but I think it sums up what I do, and some other not so gifted members might feel.

Having never entered a photo' comp' before, and thinking I might give it a try on this one, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the quality of the entries I saw, that I thought "no way this time".

I will have a go in the future though, if I find the right topic and subject. Well done to you all :thumbs:

Gozzer you can see from my efforts that i am just a point and press man when it comes to photography but i always enter and i hope you start to enter now yes NOW, next comps called now what could be more appropriate.

The more people that enter the better and it will help every ones standards.

Cheers,

Richard.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am just a point and shoot man my self, and my camera has limited capabilities, (my wife and I both use it, and she insisted on nothing too technical), but I am still finding out just what it can do, and keep getting a surprise or two!

I will now keep it with me just looking for that moment of inspiration. (they're a bit like buses with me, none for ages and then loads come at once) :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'll wait for everyones opinion on this to be sure of my next comment, but I think those who post in here and who take part in the challenge have become more flexible towards their photography and as a result have become so much better because of it. I think having a challenge makes you stop and think how to fulfill the criteria of the challenge.

I've seen some marked improvement right accross the board, what do you all think, are the challenge1s making us take better shots or improve our photography?

Steve...:)

Well Steve, I must say thanks to you and site members. My appreciation of what I am looking at in both normal and photographic terms has improved immensely (a personal view of course)? I feel my photography has moved from snaps to a real understanding of what I see through the view finder, still a steep learning curve to go, but its fun. One is appreciating just how good modern P&S 'D' cameras are, they are producing excellent results.

Its great to wield a fancy SLR, but in truth, I get so much pleasure from my pocket P&S Canon. It means that at this level, anyone can have a go and learn (ah Gozzer). Seem to remember the BBC 'photo of the year' was won a few years back by a guy with P&S, was it an early morning shot, mist rising from a river running along side a field, must have been 6-7 years ago?

CJS2 :ph34r:

PS, Canon S50 poorly, in camera Hospital, :o has got to have a new system operations chip. Three weeks recovery :lol:

PPS, Judging by what others post in the way of pictures, :sun: I would say we are all benefiting from whats put on the site. :yeah:

Edited by CJS2

Gozzer for goodness sake get snapping!!!!!!

I'm no way in the same league as most on here,but i really enjoy taking pictures,my camera is not in the same class as lots of the ones used on here...but i dont care...well i do really ,i'm so envious of poledarks Goldfinch pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

No one will make any cracks about your pictures only good helpful advice..i have learnt so much and everyone is so helpful.... take a picture and post it and ask for any suggestions...

get snapping!!!

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Guest Jan of the 2 Ghillies
Gozzer for goodness sake get snapping!!!!!!

I'm no way in the same league as most on here,but i really enjoy taking pictures,my camera is not in the same class as lots of the ones used on here...but i dont care...well i do really ,i'm so envious of poledarks Goldfinch pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

No one will make any cracks about your pictures only good helpful advice..i have learnt so much and everyone is so helpful.... take a picture and post it and ask for any suggestions...

get snapping!!!

Judith

Gozzer, Judy is so right!!! I would love to have some of the cameras/equipment other people have but the budget says "no way"!!!! I don't enter every competition because I just don't see something that I think fits the subject matter. For every picture I have considered a keeper, I've taken hundreds of others. That's the beauty of digital photography. I've taken some real klonkers and some just magically turn out great. When Steve chose the subject matter I told Newt I didn't have a chance because everyone with all the macro capabilities would take real detailed pictures. But one board on our patio fence caught my eye (I should thank the dog for taking his time that day) and I took a couple hundred pictures to get just what I wanted. Get out there and shoot and ask for suggestions. The photography forum is the most friendly on Anger's Net and suggestions are always constructive.

Edited by Jan of the 2 Ghillies

I did post some a couple of months ago, when I first started using the camera regularly. I didn't get any feedback, so I was not sure what to think :unsure: . But I will give it a try if I spot something interesting and on topic. Thanks again for the encouragement, I think it's just a matter of confidence, but I will get there eventually. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Jan of the 2 Ghillies
I did post some a couple of months ago, when I first started using the camera regularly. I didn't get any feedback, so I was not sure what to think :unsure: . But I will give it a try if I spot something interesting and on topic. Thanks again for the encouragement, I think it's just a matter of confidence, but I will get there eventually. :)

Sometimes you have to ask for feedback.....