Cheese on toast

Ken L

I was wondering how long it would take steve :D

btw discovered butter before toasting by sort of accident. Was two bits of bread that were buttered for dinner that never got ate so later that night thought "what the hell why not" lets toast it.

Its like fried bread but better. Very very light.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

How about melting the cheese with a little milk in a saucepan and then pouring it all over the half toasted bread, then back under the grill to brown off?....it's not what I do but some of the family like it that way.

For me slices of strong Cheddar, seasoned with a hint of garlic and ground black pepper. Oh and the bread is imporant it has to be thick sliced white, I like the crust.

How about melting the cheese with a little milk in a saucepan and then pouring it all over the half toasted bread, then back under the grill to brown off?....it's not what I do but some of the family like it that way.

For me slices of strong Cheddar, seasoned with a hint of garlick and ground black pepper. Oh and the bread is imporant it has to be thick sliced white, I like the crust.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

All this talk made me want for tea eggy bread but alas out of eggy

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The remedy is encapsulated in the complaint. Make sure ALL the toast is covered in cheese

...and serendipity - the bigger the pieces of toast, the more cheese you need to put on !

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it.

I always make sure my toast is covered in cheese (when it's meant to be anyway), and scoff any that won't fit on.

The other alternative is to make a proper Welsh Rarebit (and cover the toast).

The trick is not having the grill so high. I have mine set about 3/4 and once in watch the progress through the glass; have the cheese set so that it slightly overlaps.

If you're worried about cheese spillage put the bread on a Pyrex plate. The cheese always melts before the bread can be burned.

Also add other things to make it less boring.

Sliced tomatoes under the cheese, or sliced Onion, or Jam.

Me personally, I enjoy this:

A layer of Strawberry Jam, 3 Plum Tomatoes which I quarter then the strongest mature Cheddar I can get on top set on a large slice of Hedgehog Bread.

Beautiful. :clap2:

And still nobody's tried the pan method.........

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Toast bread put cheese on and pop in microwave job done no burnt bread

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

And still nobody's tried the pan method.........

Maybe no-one here had cheese on toast last night or this morning.

I don't have any *non-stick* pans - all my pans are non stick through proper treatment, but I don't know if that would work with cheese - (it works for omelettes, and anything else intended to go in a frying pan), and I'm happy with the way my cheese on toast is anyway without making any changes. :P;)

Edited by ayjay

A decent seasoned cast iron pan should be fine - a bit heavy for flipping over one handed though.

Unfortunately, I can't use mine because I have a ceramic hob at this house.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.