The Algarve

singy

I'm off on holiday to the Algarve in mid September, I know the bill fish are few and far between as it's generally not regarded as a holding area, they more pass through, but have any of you been out over there and are there any reccomendations of what I can do?

Cheers Singy

Paul Singleton

Singy,

Look for member Dave Godwin, who runs http://www.portugalfishing.co.uk/

:)

atb,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm off on holiday to the Algarve in mid September, I know the bill fish are few and far between as it's generally not regarded as a holding area, they more pass through, but have any of you been out over there and are there any reccomendations of what I can do?

Cheers Singy

Very handy :) Was idealy looking for big game. I like to chance my arm :) I hear september in pretty much in season for the odd blue and white Marlin. Tuna about?

Though a day out shark fishing sounds fun. :)

Paul Singleton

Singy - I got your mail - will speak to you soon.

Haven't posted on here for a long time, been working 7 days a week and all hours to get the new boat ready. I'll start a new thread with a pic or two of the new Reefcat on the water at last. In the meantime I will try and answer your question about big game.

The Algarve is at the northernmost tip of the blue and white marlin distribution, there can be years of plenty and years of drought. The mid to late 90's saw many fish being caught, but this tailed off in 2000. I started fishing here in 2004, and so far it has been getting better every year. This year looks very promising, 2 substantial blue marln already caught and a few whites, which is remarkably early in the season. There are very few serious angling boats over here, so I am sure that with a better equipped fleet of charter boats the numbers could be impressive, at least in a good year.

I reckon that the white marln usually arrive inshore in mid august, the first that we saw last year was on the 17th August, and for 3-4 weeks they were here in good numbers, packs of 10 plus fish around the boat, very exciting stuff. Multiple hookups were common, although keeping them on the hook is an entirely different matter.

The blues are less common, but I am sure that they are well offshore from June - October if the water temperature is right. It's why we have invested in a purpose built game boat, so we can get to the offshore grounds (about 50 miles). The blues that do get here are big, many local reports of 400kg plus fish, getting away, although a few do get tagged and released.

We are betting that with the right boats and equipment, there is a sustainable big game fishery over here waiting to be discovered. If we're wrong and they don't come back next year, there's still some excellent fishing to be had, sharking and deep bottom fishing has hardly been touched yet.

Hope that helps a bit, we're doing sea trials at the moment, and the deck gets painted tomorrow, with any luck, mid august or so will see us pulling some lures.

Bob

Haven't posted on here for a long time, been working 7 days a week and all hours to get the new boat ready. I'll start a new thread with a pic or two of the new Reefcat on the water at last. In the meantime I will try and answer your question about big game.

The Algarve is at the northernmost tip of the blue and white marlin distribution, there can be years of plenty and years of drought. The mid to late 90's saw many fish being caught, but this tailed off in 2000. I started fishing here in 2004, and so far it has been getting better every year. This year looks very promising, 2 substantial blue marln already caught and a few whites, which is remarkably early in the season. There are very few serious angling boats over here, so I am sure that with a better equipped fleet of charter boats the numbers could be impressive, at least in a good year.

I reckon that the white marln usually arrive inshore in mid august, the first that we saw last year was on the 17th August, and for 3-4 weeks they were here in good numbers, packs of 10 plus fish around the boat, very exciting stuff. Multiple hookups were common, although keeping them on the hook is an entirely different matter.

The blues are less common, but I am sure that they are well offshore from June - October if the water temperature is right. It's why we have invested in a purpose built game boat, so we can get to the offshore grounds (about 50 miles). The blues that do get here are big, many local reports of 400kg plus fish, getting away, although a few do get tagged and released.

We are betting that with the right boats and equipment, there is a sustainable big game fishery over here waiting to be discovered. If we're wrong and they don't come back next year, there's still some excellent fishing to be had, sharking and deep bottom fishing has hardly been touched yet.

Hope that helps a bit, we're doing sea trials at the moment, and the deck gets painted tomorrow, with any luck, mid august or so will see us pulling some lures.

Bob

Looking forward to your reports Bob. :) When is Stam Massey joining you?? he is bringing some secret weapons with him,they are specially tied tube flies with input from Stan,Snatcher and Sparky(Stans parrot :rolleyes: )

Go on Stan catch a big boy for me and Sparky :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Just did a search and was about to mention http://www.reefcatfishing.com/ when I noticed this :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE