HOW TO SIMPLY IMPROVE YOUR HOOKUP RATE

fishfingers

Fishfingers,

What you are failing to grasp is that you have come into this forum like a bull in a china shop, many of us have been here from the start, have made friends over the years through organised fish-ins, we may all live and fish in different parts of the UK/world, but we are a close group, those that have fished together more so.

Zzippy's knew what was lurking beneath his kayak, he was just asking what others thought, a blue off of Bournemouth is something quite special and something to be shared, just as the first Tope caught from a kayak in the UK was and the 60lbers caught earlier this year.

We don't just focus on the bigger fish, those returning from their first trip out on their yak showing off their first bream or mackeral are greeted with just as much encouragement.

What we don't like is people making comments about members and postings when they know nothing about those people the subject matter and the context that it was posted in.

We are a friendly bunch, but we will react when one of our group has their character attacked.

You may also note we don't like pictures of dead fish... end of story.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishfingers,

What you are failing to grasp is that you have come into this forum like a bull in a china shop, many of us have been here from the start, have made friends over the years through organised fish-ins, we may all live and fish in different parts of the UK/world, but we are a close group, those that have fished together more so.

Zzippy's knew what was lurking beneath his kayak, he was just asking what others thought, a blue off of Bournemouth is something quite special and something to be shared, just as the first Tope caught from a kayak in the UK was and the 60lbers caught earlier this year.

We don't just focus on the bigger fish, those returning from their first trip out on their yak showing off their first bream or mackeral are greeted with just as much encouragement.

What we don't like is people making comments about members and postings when they know nothing about those people the subject matter and the context that it was posted in.

We are a friendly bunch, but we will react when one of our group has their character attacked.

You may also note we don't like pictures of dead fish... end of story.

SM :)

Anyway, back on topic........

The problem with using offset hooks with things like redgill eels is they cause twists and tangles when using them in the traditional manner - the 'flying collar' rig. They will also make them spin and cause line twist if spinning with them. Straight hooks wont do this.

Awesome Charters was after my time (last time I went out was 1998). My 'man' is actually my aunt, Denise Milton of Sensational Charters, and her husband Micky. She fishes for Natal. She's got a website somewhere, but I can never find it. Catch and release was not the most common occurrence as she has a commercial licence and thus sells the fish as well as taking charters who naturally want to keep their fish. Personally I release all freshwater fish unless damaged but keep, and intend keeping, all sizeable, edible saltwater fish i catch as a) I don't catch many and B) I and my family eat a lot of fish (and prawns which i also catch).

I have to go, there is currently a Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane whizzing around by my house, as they do.

(Again, true. it's the Lowestoft Airshow today. Ha.).

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Seen these types on other groups! They only come on to argue (or debate as they say) Ignore em!!!!

They will get bored after a while and go to an easier target site such as knitting!! ha ha :)

Don't validate any of his posts with a reply and the forum will soon become a lonely place for such a type :lol:

Tight lines

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

And NO I won't reply to you FishlessFingers!

Fishfingers - re your original questions, there are many times when I will not use an offset. Firstly on a big trolling lure, an offset acts as a rudder causing the lures to veer off and making a very big mess of the spread. The second is when using circles, as an offset works against what you are trying to achieve, and thirdly when fly fishing as it will cause the fly to twist on a fast retrieve. Othertimes it may have benefits, but I not that I can fathom for the type of fishing I do.

Regarding circles, I have taken to using them exclusively (16/0's) when bait fishing for big tuna. Firstly they give you a better fight as the fish is hooked in the jaw and not impeded by a J down the gullet, secondly a novice angler can give slack and get away with it, and thirdly you can easily release tuna with a circle hooked fish. And contrary to your thoughts you can release tuna provided they are fought and revived correctly. This applies to longfin, yellowfin and even bluefin. Check out Dr Barbara Block and her TOPP tagging program for further proof.

As regards your thoughts on shark fishing, without sounding "preachy" many guys fish Natal reefs on Kayaks, and Raggie cave is one of the top dive spots on the coast. There has not been a shark related dive fatality on any KZN reef for a number of years. You need to come to Cape Town to experience the big sharks and the risks that go with them!Over the average season we will hook many sharks as an accidental bycatch on light tackle and to date have not had to kill one yet. We have so far released many blues and a few mako's (some over 100lb and the largest about 180) on 20lb mono with a 100lb bite leader. Most have been on a circle or CD22.

Mark, I believe every word and have had the pleasure of fishing with and against your Aunt Denise! A very good angler indeed.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Just going a bit off topic now.

Why doesnt the 'Block a person' work on the options?Fishfingers is really starting to bore me now and whish to block his topics from my view.I must admit though,I have had a good laugh at his total Bull**** stories. :bleh:

zzippy2.gif

WOW. All this and no input from me!!

Great reading! :clap:

Fishfingers whats your opinion on Kayakers fishing the beach marks and nicking all the best specimens?

Gone Fishing :boat::fish:

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Best thread I've read for ages, keep it going guys, can't wait to read the rest when i get back from wales on Sunday - Fishyfingers you crack me up, don't know what your drinking or smoking but it must be strong! - absolute class!!

WOW. All this and no input from me!!

Great reading! :clap:

Fishfingers whats your opinion on Kayakers fishing the beach marks and nicking all the best specimens?

Gone Fishing :boat::fish:

I was going to offer my spare Kayak to Fishfingers to use .So he could show us the ropes on how to Hook more bass on wire traces.

Looking at his Photo I thought he could also do with the excercise to get rid of that beer gut.I am not suprised he has that though.Seeing as he spends all day on the PC coppying and pasting to make a story up from other sites,just to post on here :yeah:

zzippy2.gif