HOW TO SIMPLY IMPROVE YOUR HOOKUP RATE

fishfingers

Hi Mark,

If you think that was a babby , you should have seen the one I had today, must have been all of 15 (centimetres) on a no3 mepps while after some Perch. I thought I'd got a piccy of it but it seems I cocked up (no pun intended) with the camera.

nifty.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

If you think that was a babby , you should have seen the one I had today, must have been all of 15 (centimetres) on a no3 mepps while after some Perch. I thought I'd got a piccy of it but it seems I cocked up (no pun intended) with the camera.

nifty.

Excellent! I've always wanted to get one of the tiny new-spawn pike, I love watching them in the river. I had a perch last time out that was the same length as the lure (1 3" Storm Perch I think). Damned treble was bigger than it's mouth. My smallest pike have been jack's of 1lb, had a few of them this year in the same are. Best were 22lb 4oz and 23lb 60z. Having not fished in the rivers for maybe 12 years or more I have really got back into it again this season and as I only ever go after pike I always get a memorable burst of activity when I hook up (especially this time of year on lures). Best this season has been a 10lber. Most enjoyable ones were that, my 3 year old's first (3lb 1oz) and a friends 7 year old daughters 6lb 14oz one. My niece lost one that snagged into some lillies but I aim to get pike for all of them this year. My daughter especially loves to come fishing with me.

a 1 lb'er, me and my girl.

1-0.jpg

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Fishfingers states :To my thinking tope are pushing it a bit too, but I suppose if they never leave the water there ok. I not too keen on the photos of those guys holding their tope up for the camera on their kayaks, one slip and the topes soft underside can get bashed, killing the fish some hours later. These creatures are , in fact, very delicate.

On a boats we only ever lift the small tope by the tail for unhooking. This is done standing so no part of the fish hits anything hard. If the fish is large it is unhooked, or on very rare occasions, cut off, while still in the water. I would like to think kayak anglers have thought this through.

I've just read this thread a bit more closely now I've had time and came across this where you say that small Tope are held aloft by the tail. Now everything I've ever read on handling Tope says that this does more damage to their internal organs than anything else.

How can lifting a Tope the 6-8inches into a kayak be more harmful than hauling them with a tailer 5-6ft over the gunwhales of a charter boat to be dropped on the deck and wrestled with and often tagged before being dropped back overboard (amazingly now it seems ,to turn up thousands of miles away on recapture).

I can honestly say having witnessed nearly all of the Tope captured by members of this forum that none were mistreated or dropped, even the few inches onto the anglers legs, and I know that all of the fish I have taken have either been unhooked in the water before being taken out for a pic to minimise the time aboard or released alongside.

I think you should perhaps get yourself afloat with us and come and see for yourself how we treat our fish before passing judgement because if you are half as knowledgable as you'ld like to portray in your posts then I for one would welcome your input.

nifty :)

Cracking pic Mark, I like the way she looks suitably unimpressed :)

Catching a 20lber on the yak is one of my goals to aim for this the winter down at Llangorse when the ski boats have vacated the place and the water clears a bit. Today was a bit of a nightmare having to keep looking around to see if I was gonna get run down. :(

Cracking pic Mark, I like the way she looks suitably unimpressed :)

Catching a 20lber on the yak is one of my goals to aim for this the winter down at Llangorse when the ski boats have vacated the place and the water clears a bit. Today was a bit of a nightmare having to keep looking around to see if I was gonna get run down. :(

Run down? we were the only people on our stretch of the river.....helps to live somewhere that bans motor boats.

She looks more impressed with her first one.....

EloisePike.jpg

I think I'll leave the 20lbers for the bank myself.....

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Well done to her!!! The smile says it all :)

Why leave the 20lber's to the bank? It's much easier to handle bigger fish when your at their level and easily gilled out.

pike017.jpg

Edited by nifty

I agree storage could be the reason why we don't see many offset hooks being sold.

Only a slightly different note, I've been using Veal Semi Circle hooks and they do seem to encourage lip hooking whilst making hooking worm baits easier compared to circle hooks.

Fished the Varivas offset semi circle hooks again tonight - I'm impressed - all fish caught were lip hooked despite leaving bites to develop before reeling in - I didn't have to resort to cutting line or taking the barb off which I normally do when school bass are around.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Fished the Varivas offset semi circle hooks again tonight - I'm impressed - all fish caught were lip hooked despite leaving bites to develop before reeling in - I didn't have to resort to cutting line or taking the barb off which I normally do when school bass are around.

Would they be suitable replacements for trebles on lures?