Keepnets (Unity)

barblesss

Environment Agency urges anglers to help protect fish in summer heat

Written By: Lyn Fraley

On Date: 27/7/2006

The Environment Agency is appealing for experienced local anglers to help protect fish in rivers and pools from suffering during the hot weather by spreading good practice among fellow anglers and discouraging the use of keep nets.

In two recent incidents at Shrewsbury and Tenbury Wells, fish are believed to have died because they were kept unnecessarily in keep nets.

Fisheries Technical Officer Andy Roberts said “Unless you are taking part in a competition, keep nets are just not necessary and, in these hot weather conditions, they can cause fish to die, either in the net or shortly after release.

“The rivers are quite low and the water temperatures are warm. These are not good conditions for fish to be kept in keep nets and we would ask anglers to think whether putting fish into a net is really necessary.”

“Experienced and responsible local anglers will already know this, and can really make a difference by spreading the word among fellow anglers, especially visitors who may not know the damage that badly used keep nets can do.”

River levels continue to fall during the recent very warm and dry weather. Warm, shallow water holds less oxygen, leaving fish vulnerable to stress, suffocation and disease. This is especially true of shallow water near the banks where keep nets are used.

With low river levels, the water may barely cover the fish and keep nets allow no escape from the discomfort. As well as the increased risk of suffocation and disease, distressed fish may struggle and damage themselves.

Andy Roberts added: “No responsible angler would want to cause distress to fish. We urge anglers to return fish to the water as soon as possible.”

MORE INFORMATION Contact Lyn Fraley on 0121 711 5829/5855

(these numbers can also be used during an emergency to contact a duty press officer)

Lets hope these anglers take note:

Bill "

Of course we musn't pay any attention to this as it would weaken our """"Unity"""" ! :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: Have you just had another batch of tin hats delivered Peter...? Not that you're wrong though matey! :)

Paul

Its a nonsense that its okay to keep fish in a net during a match, but discouraged otherwise. Surely no caring angler would keep a fish in a net in this weather.

i agree, lets ban keep-nets altogether, i hope all tackle shops take heed of this.

ps i think I'm quite caring as i wouldn't dream of trying to catch a fish with these barbaric things,

foxpk7972.jpg

i tend to try to care for my fish and try to use a less harmful way of hooking them like this

ImageIM1B.jpg

tight lines. ;)

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

OI OI,

cant remember the last time i used one, one of my pet hates is the way so called fishermen empty them they drag them out of the water to have a look at them (whats that all about) & then promptly roll them the lenth of the net back in to the water, then watch as all the scales float down to the lake, river, canal, bottom, wouldn't bother me if they were banned to-morrow.

:angry::angry::angry:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI,

cant remember the last time i used one, one of my pet hates is the way so called fishermen empty them they drag them out of the water to have a look at them (whats that all about) & then promptly roll them the lenth of the net back in to the water, then watch as all the scales float down to the lake, river, canal, bottom, wouldn't bother me if they were banned to-morrow.

:huh::headhurt::blink:

i must admit that there are a lot of badly taught fishermen that do this but using the correct net for the correct fish and using the net properly (i take it you know the correct method of raising a net of fish to be weighed) then there would not be any problems.

Edited by kempo

my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

i agree, lets ban keep-nets altogether, i hope all tackle shops take heed of this.

ps i think I'm quite caring as i wouldn't dream of trying to catch a fish with these barbaric things,

foxpk7972.jpg

i tend to try to care for my fish and try to use a less harmful way of hooking them like this

ImageIM1B.jpg

tight lines. ;)

Interesting.... how can one hook be more "barbaric" than another?

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Interesting.... how can one hook be more "barbaric" than another?

1 hook probably isn't more barbaric than another but 6 hooks could in theory create 6 penetration points and with the gauge of wire used i think i know what is more caring to-wards the fish (caring angler)

Edited by kempo

IPB Image
IPB Image