Keepnets (Unity)

barblesss

This topic is moving fast!

ColinW,Im the same as Steve and undecided on the "do returned fish spook the shoal" thing.Ive always returned both carp,tench,pike and big bream imediately without any problem but there are times when Ive done the same with perch and chub that Ive noticed a marked decline in sport.

That said I must admit that when general float/pleasure fishing Ive never really noticed it affect my catch.That said I must admit to "enjoying" the use of a keepnet for this sort of fishing when allowed.I do get a lot of enjoyment from seeing the total catch at the end of the session.But this may be a hang over from my boyhood days! I could live with a total ban but dont see why those for whom the use of a net is an integral part of their fishing should be penalised.

plus think of the kids and gran kids faces when they see there dad (grandad) lift the net at the end of a session,

priceless. ;)

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my two penneth worth

i live in daventry right next to drayton resevoir. Its not unusual to catch 40 10lb ers in day

even during a match you have to have 2 keepnets but thats still 200 lb of carp in a net

even 5 x 10lb carp in one net is to many. But on the opposite side of the coin i pleasure fish it

no keepnet allowed. Caught a carp with lacerations on it , put it in a keepnet whilst i rooted around

in my box for some fish antiseptic stuff i keep. by the time i lifeted it out to treat it (no more than 2 mins)

i had an irate bailiff banning me even though i explained my reasons.

. Bearing in mind my keepnet is 16ft long with the last 6ft being carp sack i doubt if the carp recieved any damage in the net. Should i have been banned???

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Its a difficult one TerryT.You were breaking the rules (albeit for a good reason).I suppose he could have asked why you had a keepnet with you on a pleasure session knowing the rules.

If I had been the bailiff I would have given you the benifit of the doubt unless there had been any other time that I had caught you breaking this rule.A bit harsh.

Out of interest do you (fishing such a water) think that A. The double standard is fair? B. Actually achieves anything fish welfare wise? or C. Just accept that for a match a keepnet is a necessary "evil" and should be avoided when possible? or finally D. See no harm for either use if done properly?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Its a difficult one TerryT.You were breaking the rules (albeit for a good reason).I suppose he could have asked why you had a keepnet with you on a pleasure session knowing the rules.

If I had been the bailiff I would have given you the benifit of the doubt unless there had been any other time that I had caught you breaking this rule.A bit harsh.

Out of interest do you (fishing such a water) think that A. The double standard is fair? B. Actually achieves anything fish welfare wise? or C. Just accept that for a match a keepnet is a necessary "evil" and should be avoided when possible? or finally D. See no harm for either use if done properly?

I dont like the double standard but knowing this water i do appreciate the reasons for it again its lack of education but thats every anglers fault as equaly as it is mine.

with todays technology in nets the damage to fish tends to be overcrowding rather than the net itself is my belief. except in extremely hot weather when being forced to survive in the shallows under the heat of the sun is going to distress them.

As an ex match angler i do see the necessity for keep nets at matches but more and more i think waiting

until the end of a 5 hr match for the weigh in on such waters as its likely that multiple large fish are probable or in excess of 10 lb of bits is equally absurd for the example of drayton that i mentioned earlier the weigh in needs to be a minimum of hourly and still using 2 keepnets.

If keepnets are used corectly and sensibly i do think looking at a bag of fish at the end of a day is satisfying

but correctly and sensibly are the operative words.

as for the situation i found myself in i the keepnet is in my holdall as standard i dont tend to unpack it except to clean it in an antibacterial solution (water and detox normally) i use to fish the lake regulary and have never broken the rules before and the bailiff was aware of me in a fact as he recognised my face when ever i was there. I do think it was harsh considering what my reasons were on this occasion and considering he likelyhood of desease in such an over crowded lake.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I dont like the double standard but knowing this water i do appreciate the reasons for it again its lack of education but thats every anglers fault as equaly as it is mine.

with todays technology in nets the damage to fish tends to be overcrowding rather than the net itself is my belief. except in extremely hot weather when being forced to survive in the shallows under the heat of the sun is going to distress them.

As an ex match angler i do see the necessity for keep nets at matches but more and more i think waiting

until the end of a 5 hr match for the weigh in on such waters as its likely that multiple large fish are probable or in excess of 10 lb of bits is equally absurd for the example of drayton that i mentioned earlier the weigh in needs to be a minimum of hourly and still using 2 keepnets.

If keepnets are used corectly and sensibly i do think looking at a bag of fish at the end of a day is satisfying

but correctly and sensibly are the operative words.

as for the situation i found myself in i the keepnet is in my holdall as standard i dont tend to unpack it except to clean it in an antibacterial solution (water and detox normally) i use to fish the lake regulary and have never broken the rules before and the bailiff was aware of me in a fact as he recognised my face when ever i was there. I do think it was harsh considering what my reasons were on this occasion and considering he likelyhood of desease in such an over crowded lake.

saying that, i have fished matches for 15 years now and am quite competent, so why is it ok for me to use a net on the sunday yet i cant on the saturdays practise on the same venue.

surly if you show competence then it should be ok.

my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Surely the answer is obvious - ban matches and allow keepnet use to dwindle away naturally :D Matches are the only defensible use of keepnets, and it's not really fishing is it? ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Surely the answer is obvious - ban matches and allow keepnet use to dwindle away naturally :D Matches are the only defensible use of keepnets, and it's not really fishing is it? ;)

omg lol nice 1 :wallbash:

IPB Image
IPB Image

I have been surfing the net trying to find an article I read on "netless" match fishing and can't find it!

It would appear that someone has invented a device that is permanently fitted to the peg. It consists of a tank which is conected to scales and a computer. when the anglet catches a fish, he puts it into the tank, the tank (which I think comes out of the water) will weigh that fish and open the side for it to swim out.

At the end of the match, a print out of every peg can be obtained.

The fishery would buy these objects and activate them on payment by the angler or club. This way a pleasure angler can read what he has caught through the day and what size they were!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I would have thought that any change to the way matchs are "decided" would be to far a move away from tradition for most to accept?

Like Mr M says the weigh in is the main source of damage/potential damage.

Thanks for your reply Terry T.I tend to agree with Kempo's post that if the competent use of keepnets is acceptable then once competence has been proven it shouldnt matter what day your fishing ,match or no match!

The issue of competence brings us back to that old chestnut of a "fishing licence" which requires the proving of competence.I know in the past when this has been raised several have been concerned that the need for such a licence would stop/put off newcomers to the sport.Maybe a "tiered" licence system where you dont need one to go "fishing" but do for more advanced issues such as predator fishing,specimen carp,fishing and of course the use of keepnets?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!