Keepnets (Unity)

barblesss

The more 'we' treat fish - living, sentient creatures, remember - like a commodity, the less angling unity will matter because there won't be any angling. Putting bar codes in fish so 'we' can scan them like a product at a supermarket? As an experiment, run that idea past a non-angling friend or relative and see what they make of it. And, yes, it does matter what they think.

Overstocking them into purpose-built ponds just so they can be caught and caught again for the purposes of making a quick few quid is surely indefensible. Rivers are a different matter as the fish are wild.

Keepnets are OK if used sensibly; there are bigger issues of the general direction 'angling' is taking which are far more important. I remember when commercials were being called 'the future of angling'. I reckon they might just finish it off.

I've only ever fished a couple of matches (it's not my thing, I've got nothing against it though, my last comment was tongue-in-cheek) but if it's the weigh-in that causes damage rather than the net - which seems logical, all other factors being equal - why don't clubs develop/buy their own nets which must be used in matches. They could have a padded bottom section which unclips (so it opens at both ends). They'd all weigh the same because they'd all be identical. Weigh the net plus the fish, open the end to let them out, and deduct the weight of the net. Ah, but that would require change, and 'we' don't like that, do we...? This would rely on matchmen being honest and not filling their net with leads, but I've heard on here they're an impeccable bunch :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, you keep making reference, indirectly or directly, to the nicking of fish. The reality is that the Potter Heigham incident is nothing more, nothing less than a well known angling journalist's, and a few of his cronies, absolute hatred of pike and pikers. Let it drop, we have all heard it before. :headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Bob, you keep making reference, indirectly or directly, to the nicking of fish. The reality is that the Potter Heigham incident is nothing more, nothing less than a well known angling journalist's, and a few of his cronies, absolute hatred of pike and pikers. Let it drop, we have all heard it before. :headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

i fished a match on the Thames this week and lost 9 roach to pike, but i didn't worry to much as that is nature, ok the roach was on my hook and couldn't escape like it normally would if it wasn't hooked but hey thats fishing eh.

Thats 9 roach that didn't have to suffer the agonising wait in the keep-net waiting to be weighed, folly and deep joy for them eh lol.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

[quote -Unimexsol Today, 02:41 PM Post #4

Group: Members

Member No.: 9,775

QUOTE(BUDGIE @ Jul 31 2006, 09:35 PM)

Well done Uni thats a cracking first double.What did you catch it on?

Small dace, lip hooked on a single size 4.

just read this on another post and it just goes to show that no pike angler should have a view or concern on wether we use nets to keep our fish or not.

this seems to be a comunity devided on fish welfare and who gives a toss, so speaking for the pike anglers, lets ban keepnets but buckets are ok as you need to keep your baits fresh for your hooks,

Edited by kempo

my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Show me where I have sugested that keep nets should be banned?

See what I mean people just cant resist having a dig at an area of angling they dont do/understand.Great "UNITY" eh?

Like I keep saying its really easy to "give up" something that wont affect you aint it.......

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Show me where I have sugested that keep nets should be banned?

See what I mean people just cant resist having a dig at an area of angling they dont do/understand.Great "UNITY" eh?

Like I keep saying its really easy to "give up" something that wont affect you aint it.......

budgi why reply to a post that is not directed at you, it is aimed at the anti keep-net pike anglers out there, we all know that you would always keep you live-baits in a net for ultimate presentation, my post was directed at anti keep-net anglers.

sorry if i offended you

IPB Image
IPB Image

Sorry Kempo I took your post out of context after reading it quickly.

I dont think it matters what area of angling you do when it comes to unity.I feel the live baiting piker is being just as selfish wishing the match angler to be denied his keepnet as the matchman who wants to see the piker lose his option to live bait.

I keep saying that it is very easy to give up things that wont affect you.But maybe in reflection it is also much easier for an "all-rounder" like my self to show "unity" as I understand all the areas and losing any of them would affect me!

My real concerns arnt the singular issue of the keepnet being lost or the live bait being banned or what ever but just the gradual eroding of angling as we know it and the wedges such bans drive between our split factions.

Sorry Kempo I took your post out of context after reading it quickly.

I dont think it matters what area of angling you do when it comes to unity.I feel the live baiting piker is being just as selfish wishing the match angler to be denied his keep-net as the match-man who wants to see the piker lose his option to live bait.

I keep saying that it is very easy to give up things that wont affect you.But maybe in reflection it is also much easier for an "all-rounder" like my self to show "unity" as I understand all the areas and losing any of them would affect me!

My real concerns aint the singular issue of the keep-net being lost or the live bait being banned or what ever but just the gradual eroding of angling as we know it and the wedges such bans drive between our split factions.

well put it this way budgie, if keep-nets do get banned then that is the end of pike fishing as the whole point of keep-nets is to retain fish for whatever reason.

if they ban that then Good buy pike fishing with freshwater dead or live-baiting, bring on the mackerel etc.

so Pike boys think twice.

no tanking, no freshwater dead baits, and NO LIVE-BAITING

so in insight pike boys i would tend to be drawn to the plus side of retaining fish as this might lead to a total ban in using freshwater baits as we know it.

your treading on a very rickety path you an-ty keep-net pikies.

Edited by kempo

IPB Image
IPB Image

Kempo that is a prime example of how not supporting the retaining of something because "it wont affect your own angling" does indeed have a knock on effect which will affect you!

How about stopping live baiting because sticking hooks in live fish is cruel..............see what I mean?

By pussy footing around trying to make our sport look acceptable to those out side of it ,it is very easy to "shoot ourselves in the foot" as Bobs comment about re catching in a 5hour period did.

My real concerns arnt the singular issue of the keepnet being lost or the live bait being banned or what ever but just the gradual eroding of angling as we know it and the wedges such bans drive between our split factions.

Spot on, mate.

Divide and conquer - that's what those opposed to angling want.

Personally, there are areas of angling that don't float my boat - I've just bought MY new keepnet; it's called a Canon EOS 300D. That's my choice, but I'd defend the sensible use of keepnets to the hilt. Same with livebaiting (which I do from time to time).

I've said for many years that the biggest threat to angling will come from within. Nothing has happened to change that view, unfortunately.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE