Keepnets (Unity)

barblesss

Glenn's right about the motivation, and I think he's probably right about it fading away as people fish commercials more. The point is greatest when putting together a catch of small roach where each fish is unimpressive but the sight of the whole catch is somehow satisfying. In a few years, I expect everyone will start their angling career fishing for little tame carp. :(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt as a pleasure angler (aren't we all ?) that occasionally uses a keepnet I don't use it so I can 'admire'

my catch at the end of the session, it is so I can build up a bag of fish. I have noticed as I'm sure others have that some fish (roach, chub) in smaller rivers can be easily spooked by returning fish immediately

to the swim. As said I use one infequently and the fish are never lifted from the water but allowed to swim

out by lifting the net from the bottom. I do have concerns however over the treatment of the fish during

weighing in at matches where fish are tipped/tumbled from net to net.

mike

Can I please come back on this thread and reiterate what I said before. We need to have a nominated person at matches to go around the anglers and make sure that the nets are a) legal and B) correctly set out. Once he has done this the "all in" can be initiated.

Commercials can make up their own minds as to whether to allow them or not! If they do, they could check them when going to collect the money.

Rivers - Again the same as commercials, but the difference is that when the person joins a club or pays for the privilege of fishing a water, he takes his net/s in for examination!

Not rocket science - but would be bl**dy effective!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I am bringing this back up as I need some info - Does anyone know of the new idea of having bottom opening nets!! Are they for sale yet? Do they make square ones? Where can I buy them? How much do they cost?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

They have been around for over a decade, I had one that you twisted and then secured with two plastic clips, most of the modern nets have a special ring in the keepnet that is slightly smaller than the rest, the angler pulls this through to the top ring and the fish are easily emptied into the wet weigh sling, it is very efficient ,takes seconds to do and the fish are un-harmed, I would like to point out that most of todays match fishing equipment is the result of years of angling experience , top match anglers help develop items such as keep-nets with top brand company's for every-ones benefit but especially the fish.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Newt as a pleasure angler (aren't we all ?) that occasionally uses a keepnet I don't use it so I can 'admire' my catch at the end of the session, it is so I can build up a bag of fish. I have noticed as I'm sure others have that some fish (roach, chub) in smaller rivers can be easily spooked by returning fish immediately to the swim.

Thanks Mike. That makes sense but would never have occured to me given that I fish larger waters and usually moving along in a boat so spooking the other fish usually isn't an issue.

I have been known when the largemouth bass were active in a restricted area to spray a little of the glop I use to scent soft plastics on the fish before releasing it though. Harmless to the fish and masks any 'fear' smell they might have. Never been completely convinced it is necessary but it is a harmless precaution so why not.

I think the same logic would apply to keepnets when used as you do.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President