Keepnets (Unity)

barblesss

ColinW - Your remark about digital cameras. We on AN have been asked numerous times to guess the weight of a fish from a digital camera. the results have been, well, disastrous!! That wouldn't work.

What I would like to see is where the have to be used (Matches) that you have an official go round before the "all in" and CHECK the nets for legality, positioning etc. The idea is not to pillory someone who "got it wrong" but to teach them to do it right!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps matches should weigh in fish on capture ,no nets but a bevvy of fish weighers ,beats tipping them into a basket never mind a stint in a keepnet,they could get a fee (each fish "caddie" chosen by numbers so no nonsence going on) they could fill in the time wiping the anglers mouth from obsenity juice and removing fishes lips from their towels :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ColinW - Your remark about digital cameras. We on AN have been asked numerous times to guess the weight of a fish from a digital camera. the results have been, well, disastrous!! That wouldn't work.

What I would like to see is where the have to be used (Matches) that you have an official go round before the "all in" and CHECK the nets for legality, positioning etc. The idea is not to pillory someone who "got it wrong" but to teach them to do it right!!

best comment yet i think :clap2::clap2::clap2:

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

KB, I wasn't suggesting using cameras for any match related purpose, simply as a substitute for keeping fish netted all day just so the angler can "have another look" before releasing the fish :)

I know that is the only reason I've ever used one while pleasure fishing. I don't believe all the nonsense about releasing fish scaring off other fish, I've caught the same fish twice too often to think that is possible. My normal procedure now is land fish, unhook in landing net, if big - weigh in landing net, photograph (still in net), release.

perhaps matches should weigh in fish on capture ,no nets but a bevvy of fish weighers ,beats tipping them into a basket never mind a stint in a keepnet

perhaps we can digitalised this some how, you know the coin counters you get to count your change well why cant every peg have this kind of gadget besides there peg and you place the fish in it it is weighed and a door opens to allow the fish freedom.

all weights recorded and times, but no cheating as there would be sensors to detect what is out in for weighing.

bloody heck I'm going nuts. :headhurt:

my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Personally, I woudn't be against Keepnets being banned, in all but say matches.

On the other hand, used properly I think they are fine, so why should they be banned? but there are so many uneducated or some who just can't be bothered anyway. Take your pick.

Whatever, I think it's important we make using keepnets correctly an important issue.

i agree, lets ban keep-nets altogether, i hope all tackle shops take heed of this.

ps i think I'm quite caring as i wouldn't dream of trying to catch a fish with these barbaric things,

foxpk7972.jpg

i tend to try to care for my fish and try to use a less harmful way of hooking them like this

ImageIM1B.jpg

tight lines. ;)

I'd never use fully barbed trebles. yuck! Just the 1 for keeping the deadbait on.

I try to keep away from the triples barbed on spinners\ lures, always flattening them.

As for normal single hook fishing, barbless, but that's another subject! Shall I start a barbed vs barbless topic! :D

Thanks for confirming that and underlining my point Steve.

I think Johns(Kleinboet) post is about right.As with all things education is the answer.

As for the weighing in of each fish as its caught? well this may be fine on a "Fishomania" basis but I cant for the life of me see how it could practicaly done when an anglers was bleak/small fish snatching! a good one would be catching a minute fish quicker than a steward could record yet alone weigh it!

Funny Steve should mention his specially made "Carp sack keepnets" I think that carp "tolerate" normal sacks rather than sacks being good for them! I know if I ever had to retain a large pike I would be happier doing it in a large keepnet rather than a sack.

On the few occaisions I have felt the need to retain a large bream (once for a shot of a new venue record and my camera had jammed and once to retain for an examination by the NRA) I used a keepnet closed at both ends and sunk staked out in 4' of water. When there is a need a far better way IMO than a sack.

I also feel that despite the general anti keepnet thing that barbel are often best retained for a short period before being released.This gives them a chance to recover and not turn belly up further down stream.Something Ive seen several times.

I wont go into all the negative side of either corectly or incorectly used nets.These are surely allready well documented.

In the match situation I feel that it is the weigh in itself that still needs to be looked at closer rather than the method of retention.Lots of different opinions on the best way for this but it will always be difficult when large numbers of fish are involved.

It has been sugested many times that deciding matchs on numbers alone would negate the need to both retain or weigh the fish but I think this would surely detract from the fishing as inevitably this would see match angling becoming very small fish/speed orientated?

Good or bad for the fish (as indeed can be agued about angling itself) the practice of match fishing and pleasure fishing using keepnets has been around a long time and angling still survives so surely with continued education and improvement of both equipment and practices it should still have a future?

Out of interest many of the "Keepnet banned" waters I fish only ban them because they dont want carp putting in them.Many I fish in the winter for roach have no problem with "lifting" this rule for competent anglers.As with many restrictions I feel it should really be left to the owners disgression rather than national ruling.

But without wishing to become boring it is once again easy to be against something you dont do your self.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'd never use fully barbed trebles. yuck! Just the 1 for keeping the deadbait on.

I try to keep away from the triples barbed on spinners\ lures, always flattening them.

As for normal single hook fishing, barbless, but that's another subject! Shall I start a barbed vs barbless topic! :D

wow i thought this part of the post had run its length.

as the point was about the caring angler, it is a tad taboo on this post i know i started it but that was out of anger of being called an uncaring angler.

the post has long gone back to the real subject of untrained anglers harming fish using the wrong kind of mesh in there nets for fish, and not keeping the fish in the water and allowing them to swim to the mouth of the net into the weigh sling so at no point are the fish in contact with the net its self.

or minimal contact at least.

IPB Image
IPB Image

This topic is moving fast!

ColinW,Im the same as Steve and undecided on the "do returned fish spook the shoal" thing.Ive always returned both carp,tench,pike and big bream imediately without any problem but there are times when Ive done the same with perch and chub that Ive noticed a marked decline in sport.

That said I must admit that when general float/pleasure fishing Ive never really noticed it affect my catch.That said I must admit to "enjoying" the use of a keepnet for this sort of fishing when allowed.I do get a lot of enjoyment from seeing the total catch at the end of the session.But this may be a hang over from my boyhood days! I could live with a total ban but dont see why those for whom the use of a net is an integral part of their fishing should be penalised.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!