Cyclists

BobH

As road user's, do you think cyclists should take a test and pay insurance ?

Bob

insurance and a mandatory high vis vest yes but training is pointless 99.99% of car accidents are involved with trained drivers the cycling proficiancy test is good enough and all cyclists should have reg plates showing they are insured ,about 4feet square should stop their shennanigans

not just roads either they are dangerouse on footpaths hurtling everywhere ,they should have lolly sticks mounted so they toach the spokes made a law and have to ring a bell when they are within 20 feet of any human to warn them of their presence

then within 10 feet dismount and doff their cap untill they pass

at least with horses you hear them farting and the rider moaning with orgasms so know ther're about,mind you going by the average age of the riders around here the spring has long dried up but their usually shouting at cars or cyclists so their presence known anyway

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As a bike commuter, I wouldn't have any issues with that but who is going to enforce it?

Dog owners are required to keep their animals on a lead and pick up after them but nobody enforces it so it's ignored.

It's illegal to smoke on train stations but nobody enforces it so it gets ignored.

And of course, with so many car drivers acting like total dicks around cyclists, are you prepared for cyclists to start bedecking themselves with cameras and using their mandatory insurance to sue motorists?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Not really. I would reintroduce cycling proficiency in school, but I don't see much of a problem of cyclists not knowing how to use the road. Sometimes see them wilfully ignoring it, but then so do most people who have passed a driving test, so I doubt it would make much difference.

Insurance isn't really justified by the amount of damage done, and indeed most of us with house insurance will have third party liability provided as part of that which covers us if we are not using motorised transport. The CTC throws free third party cover in with the membership price (membership cost varies, but about 40 quid as an individual, 70 quid for a family, £18-£27 concessionary rates) so it's not an expensive thing. Cycling just isn't a particularly risky activity for third parties.

The argument against these sort of measures is that they would reduce participation in cycling, which everybody with any power or influence would consider a bad thing in terms of congestion, pollution, health and obesity.

As a bike commuter, I wouldn't have any issues with that but who is going to enforce it?

Dog owners are required to keep their animals on a lead and pick up after them but nobody enforces it so it's ignored.

It's illegal to smoke on train stations but nobody enforces it so it gets ignored.

And of course, with so many car drivers acting like total dicks around cyclists, are you prepared for cyclists to start bedecking themselves with cameras and using their mandatory insurance to sue motorists?

You could stop a lot of bad cycling with cctv if a license plate was required and registered to the owner via the insurer ,difficult to place though as unlike motorbikes it was cause a drag problem

Perhaps the insurer would provide a free hi vis vest with the number printed on (would save them money in the long run as less accidents may occur) but where would you put your ruck sack?.

Difficult without hard and fast laws but the minority (it always is) of bikers are a hazard to cars and pedestrians when they flout the law so in the long run all will suffer with legislation and the means of enforcing it's

All laws are negotiable ,you merely (as you say) balance the chances of getting caught and what would probably be (as modern "punishments"appear to have become) the slap on the wrist in the highly unlikely case it goes to court ,if ofcourse third parties took photos of misdemeanours and got 25% of the fine and the "plate" scenario was enforced i guess the problem would lessen

At the moment had some bright spark an alround camera and the plates already enforced in london the rewards would be very gratifying in money terms

Cabbying in the day saving and sending off date and time stamped footage of bad cyclists in the evening ,very welcome for christmas

Its time the dog license was reintroduced (far to cheap so costly to enforce in its latter days) after all if you can afford to spend £600 quid on some designer mongrel you can afford a 100 quid a year to insure and licence it ,chuck a nice coat with its number on that as well so the photos of it crapping and its owner ignoring it can be profitable as well for an onlolker

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

yes and yes.

last time I had a run in with a cyclist coming down a one way road the wrong direction at speed while I was approaching the crossing he almost came right out and would ended up smacking the side of me and flying over the car. only thing that stopped him was skidding side ways.

who's gonna pay to fix my car for his own stupidity, right now it would be me paying it as cyclists don't see causing damage to cars as their problem. someone I used to be friends with had a cyclist hit his car stopped at traffic lights, get up, laugh it off, and pedaled on never to be seen again and left with a big dent that he will have to pay for.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I came home from a London Hospital appointment by bus the other day, sitting upstairs the standard of cycling was abysmal, I honestly think they should have insurance and should take some sort of test.

Every other user of the road is required to do so, so why not ?

Many have camera's on their helmets, I don't think it will be long before cars have cameras fitted as a way of protecting car drivers from litigation from these un-licenced, un insured and non tested road users.

Bob

As car dvrs are so cheap only fools wouldnt have them nowadays ,you can bet any fault involving the cyclist themselves would mysteriously disappear from their helmet cams so it would be wise to catch them out with yours

Some (most?) insurance companies offer a discount if a car has a camera inside it.

Should cyclists be forced to have insurance? YES.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Be careful what you wish for - the main provider of cyclist insurance is also a major campaigner for harsher sentences for drivers, lower speed limits, etc. I'm sure they'd love the boost in membership...