Cyclists

BobH

I'm a careful cyclist but I will admit there are a fair few that aren't, the trouble with a lot of pedestrians on shared cycle ways is that nowadays most have their heads buried in their mobile phones and have absolutely no awareness of what goes on around them and your constantly trying to second guess which way they are going to go. I've have had one walk into the side of me as I cycled down the road, the idiot just stepped off the footpath, nose in his phone without looking, straight into the side of me nearly knocking me off my bike, he was incredibly lucky that I wasn't in a car or he would have been flattened.

As for bells the one I have fitted gets peoples attention when I use it, its one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/samui-air-zound-horn/rp-prod20105

As said, bells are fine if Mr pedestrian isn't wearing headphones and it's quiet enough to alert them 30 or 40m ahead. Sounding a bell when you're close up is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 weeks later...

Tech is fine until money is being made fining you for whatever it detects or more importantly takes money over the odds if you dont stump up for it.

We see the same in cars where you are judged on your driving but get reductions for good driving but the time will come where you are fined because your tech sees your driving methods or you have a car without such tech installed so your insurance is higher because of the fact you dont have the tech

Big brothef tends to only result in tears except for those getting money out of it.

Better still would be cheap car dvr,s so when you hit a cyclist you can then parry their statement it was entirely your fault

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Plenty of cheap digital video recorders available for both cars and bikes, they would be even better if the cheap ones had GPS in so you could tell at what speed the individuals involved in any accident were doing at the time (unfortunately they're not accurate enough to give a road position to a really accurate degree, by this I mean 2 or 3 inches).

Plenty of cheap digital video recorders available for both cars and bikes, they would be even better if the cheap ones had GPS in so you could tell at what speed the individuals involved in any accident were doing at the time (unfortunately they're not accurate enough to give a road position to a really accurate degree, by this I mean 2 or 3 inches).

Not found anything with such accuracy ,my camera is probably 5 mtrs out (down in the valley but better in the open)and a gps plotter is worse than that ,in a city it must be worse but perhaps an phone app could triangulate via phone signals but i cant see much having accuracy down to inches.

The plotter even on its fastest gps grabbing cuts corners ,even worse on faster than walking speed ,i will have to see how accurage the camera is walking rather than standing still i doubt it much good moving

Gps (sat navs) use different speed measurements ,cars are actual speeds whilst sat navs use average speed (whats calculated between the satellite transmission to the sat nav),you can see the difference comparing both when your moving they rarely match

I suppose you could improve accuracy using a built in sat nave coupled to the computer on the car so it takes into account actual speed and distance measured from the wheels

A chap showed me the plot his top of the range metal detector logged (2 grand machine!) most of it showed him over the hedge in the next field LOL not a good thing to show the cops if the farmer next door insisted he was on his land! Fine in the open like my camera but scatter from trees confused it

You could get decent accuracy but i doubt a 25 quid dvr will have anything made by garmin in it LOL but good enough to see some arese on a bike going through a red light and flying into your windscreen

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A friend is an archaeologist in Denmark and she uses GPS kit that is accurate to 2 or 3cm - but it is neither small nor cheap and she isn't trying to use it on the move.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A friend is an archaeologist in Denmark and she uses GPS kit that is accurate to 2 or 3cm - but it is neither small nor cheap and she isn't trying to use it on the move.

Something from Sokkia perhaps? The same kind of kit geoligists use to measure the movement of tectonic plates?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Something from Sokkia perhaps? The same kind of kit geoligists use to measure the movement of tectonic plates?

No idea but I'm pretty sure they don't make a version that would strap to a helmet.