Went fishing for the first time yesterday!

megocorp

Hi, Well i went fishing yesterday, used corn and some carp vader pellet thingys that really really smelt bad.

My missus dropped me off and i got all set up, figured out how to use me plummet and then put me bait on.

Got a little tangled figuring out the reel but soon realised how to do one thing and another. Cast out well and then sat back down. A bit windy so felt as though i needed a fleece which i forgot. On the phone to me missus and good as gold intow with my three year old she dropped off some bits for me. Another hour passes then my phone goes, she ranting off on about the kids playing up and the fact that shes just done a load of night shifts etc etc. Half an hour later im being extracted.

Anyway although i kept me eye on the float and as it bobbed around i saw no obvious bites when i pulled it out there was nowt on it. Does corn and pellet thingy come off hooks easy? i would have thought they may have stayed on better than that. Could the fish have nibbled them off? who knows, one thing i know is i loved my couple of hours. Even though i had an early extraction and then had to finish off the roast! it was great. Need an umbrella or somthing though as i was suprised with the weather. Also instead of racing out of the house because of an opportunity window take time and take what you need.

Steve

PS are them Skinz thingys any good it seems that they stay on the hook a little better, would this be the case?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Pellets soak up water and will fall off.

Corn can come off during a cast.

Has anyone actually shown you how to fish or are you teaching yourself?

Guest Ferret1959

Not being funny and I know it may not be easy for you but can I suggest you get some instruction on the bank.

Do you know what to do with a deep hooked fish, do you know how to play and land a fish safely?

I've been fishing for over 40 years but still 'rented' a pro instructor for a day on a stretch of river I rented.

And it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

I'd highly recommend that you try and find a mate who's done a bit of fishing - or even see if someone on here might come along with you for a couple of hours. You will learn more about the basics from actually being with someone for a couple of hours than you can from either the internet or a book. I'm also surprised at your choice of bait, most people start off by using maggot and catching a few small fish first. This time of year you should be catching regularly if you go after the smaller roach, bream, bleak etc with a single maggot on a size 18 hook. It will also give you good practise at handling a fish and unhooking them.

Oh, and did I mention, catching fish is really fun, even the little ones.

Try and find a place which is nice and sheltered, ponds are usually the easiest place to start. You want somewhere with a few feet of water right by the bank so you don't need to cast out, just drop your float in close to the bank. If there's some reeds or something there then even better. When you can see your float really easy you'll soon see what movement is fish related and what is just the wind or you knocking the rod. If the wind is behind you it will be flat calm down by your bank (although fishing into the wind can be more productive it is a lot more difficult). If you are fishing corn just throw a few pieces in every couple of minutes to keep the fish interested. If you are nicking your hook through the skin of the corn and just lowering it in it won't fall off. If you really want to guarantee catching a fish and aren't bothered how small it is then get a few maggots, corn results in fewer bites but bigger fish. Always remember the golden rule about feeding is "little and often".

Hi, The fish and thier welfair, wellbeing are paramount to my enjoyment.

Yesterday when i went i made sure i perched myself next to two chatty anglers who assisted me on more than one occassion. I have been in countless Angling shops and spoken to countless other people about unhooking fish etc.

I went on that website before, i could not find anyone even close to where i live.

As to the bait i cannot stand Maggots, there i said it! i aint bothered. Everyone who i have spoken to say Sweetcorn and pellets, luncheon meat, bread etc is a very good bait for fishing. Honestly am i missing something here, as i'm always open for more advice?.

Thanks Colin your reply came as i had submitted by the looks, Thats just what i did and i really enjoyed it. Just dont think i had enough time.

I'm a firm believer that you learn from everything, and learn something new every day.

Next time i go i will change position and hopefully go for a little longer.

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Steve

Don't worry, you could fish a lifetime without ever touching a maggot :)

I only suggested them because they are the perfect beginners' bait, they are lively, pretty tough and easy to get hold of. Because they wriggle a lot they attract smaller fish more than a more static bait does (which is precisely why people after bigger fish don't use them!)

The baits you list are perfectly OK. I rarely use anything myself that I can't buy in the Co-op or Lidl!

A bait I find really good is corned beef but it is a bit messy and fiddly, you cut it into small cubes and then "mould" a cube around your hook. Take a towel to wipe the grease off your hands after doing this! Like other soft baits like catfood it won't cast but it is deadly down the margins.